Hi, my name is mrpip2002uk! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is mrpip2002uk!

mrpip2002uk
mrpip2002uk Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
hi,my name is john,i'm 62 and an ex painter and decorator,unfortunately i've had to stop working over the last 9-10 years due to disability which is constant pain down both my legs caused supposedly by damaged nerves?thats the diagnosis after 8 years of going through all sorts of different tests and medications.
the only test that gave me pain relief was when they cut open my lower belly and inserted a pump and put a narrow tube from the pump and fed it under my skin into my spinal canal,this allowed morphine liquid to flow from the pump allong the tube and slowly drip the morphine into my spinal fluid canal at set doses regurlary,i then had the pump refilled every month.
this was the first and last treatment that ever gave me pain relief,i felt like i'd got the use of  my legs back and were now pain free and had my life back.
unfortunately the relief lasted for six months,and then i woke up one morning and i'd got the pain sensation starting to return and within a few days the pain was back and i virtually lost the use of my legs again through chronic pain and have lived with this ever since.
i was told my body must have got used to the morphine causing it to give no relief,i'm still under the pain management to this day,with no hope of relief,even though they are still trying with different medications?
because of the pain i'm classed as disabled and get high rates of both PIPS allowance and ESA.
because of financial problems caused by not being able to work,we had to go bankrupt,this caused terrible problems with my wifes mental heath and she is now under mental health clinic and has to take numerous medications to help her get by,so she is also unable to work now.
its funny how a families life can turnaround  from good to desperate within a few days,and then you have to put up with people calling us scroungers because we have to rely on benefits,they seem to be jealous of people that are suffering and struggling through life,while they have good jobs ,good income, and best of all ,GOOD HEALTH ? what are they jealos of?
this is my introduction to the site and ive just joined todat,so hello to you all,john

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mrpip2002uk and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for joining us.  I'm very sorry to hear about your health issues and financial problems and how it has affected you and your wife.  I know things can't have been very easy for you both and yes, very true how families lives can be turned around.  I'm also very sorry to hear that you have had to put up with very unkind comments from people.  Yes, some people can be very jealous of others, but if they knew the truth about what goes on in a person's life then I'm sure they would not be so quick as to judge people.  You are most certainly not scroungers as many people through no fault of their own have to claim benefits to get by simply because they have bad health or a disability.  It's best to ignore people like this, but I know that is easier said than done!

I know that pain is a terrible thing and this doesn't help anybody's situation.  Many of us on here suffer from some kind of pain and also live with this daily so will completely appreciate how debilitating this can be.

On the Community we are here to support you as we all look out for each other here.  You will find the forum a safe place to chat and meet new friends.  You can chat to us anytime as there will always be someone on here to listen.  We are a very friendly bunch of people!  Please feel free to look around the site and join in any discussions that you find interesting.  We have a virtual Coffee Lounge where we discuss interesting topics such as our pets, hobbies, movies, books, etc so it is quite fun there and a good place to start chatting to people.  I hope you will enjoy your time with us on the Community anyway and find it a useful place to be.  I look forward to seeing you around anyway.  If we can be of any help/support to you or your wife then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mrpip2002uk - Welcome to this great community. Thank you for joining & sharing about yourself, John. I'm sorry that you worked for so long, then had to stop due to your pain issues. Also so sorry to read that your financial problems impacted on your wife's mental health. You will find a lot of understanding here, as many of us receive benefits due to our ill health/disability. I'm sure we would all trade our problems instead of benefits any day of the week. Sadly some people don't have an understanding of this....if they could walk a mile in our shoes, or just a few steps!
    As Ails says, here we do all try to help each other, so I hope being part of this community now helps you both. :)

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Thanks for sharing this @mrpip2002uk and I'm sorry to hear how much pain you're in. You're very welcome here though and I hope you stick around and become a big part of our little community here. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.