Advice on moving — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on moving

Options
misguided
misguided Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My father in law recently lost his wife, they had a joint tenancy with a housing association. The tenancy was made into a single one. He has asked my husband (his son) and I to move in with him as he has recently had a fall and chest pains which scared him. He is currently receiving pension credit guaranteed and a small savings element, state pension and DLA high mobility and low care. Both my husband and I get PIP, I get both high mobility and care, and my husband get standard rate. 
Will my father in law lose any housing benefit or council tax support he currently gets or any of his pension credit.

Sorry it is soo long 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @misguided and a warm welcome to the community! I'm glad you found us. :)

Do either yourself or your husband work? Also, you either of you have any savings or receive any support with housing? 
    Scope

• misguided
    Options
    Hi Chloe_Scope,

No neither of us work and we dont have any savings. As we currently get UC we have out rent paid via our payment of UC but we know that that element will be stopped
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @misguided

Shelter says that as he is receiving the Care Component of DLA that he should be exempt from non-dependent deductions. 

When you're exempt

You're exempt if you or your partner are registered blind, or if either of you get any of the following benefits:

• personal independence payment (PIP) - daily living component 
    • disability living allowance (DLA) - care component 
    • attendance allowance
    • armed forces independence payment

Your housing benefit can't be reduced by non dependant deductions.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • misguided
    Options
    Adrian_scope
    Many thanks for your reply, also would his pension credit and his council tax be affected 
  • misguided
    Options
    Hi, @Adrian_Scope
    Thanks for your reply. 
    My apologies as some information was wrong, my father in law doesn't get the care component only the high motability, but I get enhanced rate for care and motability PIP and my husband gets standard rate (currently under appeals tribunal as he had high for both when he was awarded DLA indefinitely back in 1986) for both care and motability. How would this affect my father in laws rent and council tax. 

We will be put down as living there but not as a tenant on the tenancy 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hello @misguided
    Unfortunately he needs the care element to not receive Non-Dependent Deductions.

A few other options for you:

If his mobility DLA is pretty secure he could ask for a supersession to try and get the care side of DLA (definitely get some advice from Welfare Rights or CAB before doing this, but if he's having falls he may be entitled to care too).

Or he could try and have your and his son added to the tenancy agreement and you and your partner could look at claiming rent help to help with your side of it. I don't know your situation to know if that's a possibility though.

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.