What are the minimum amount of hours my carer has to care for me to claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are the minimum amount of hours my carer has to care for me to claim?

Karen777
Karen777 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
My carer is contemplating taking on full time work..what is the minimum hrs he has to be caring 4 me to claim or can I not claim like the the lady who asked b4 and pay sum1 4 help I haven't done this as yet but I cud?? Thanks in advance to any answers,,,what's confusing me is i got the money b4 i got a carer??? 

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Karen777 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thanks for sharing with us.  The hours someone has to be caring for a person is at least 35 hours to claim Carers Allowance.  Please find some information which Scope has put together regarding Carers Allowance which you may find helpful -

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/carers-allowance-ca/

With regards to hiring a carer yourself this is an option also and I have included a link about this from the Money and Advice Centre which may help you -

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/using-a-personal-assistant-to-provide-your-care

I hope you find the above to be helpful and can appreciate that DWP matters can be very confusing as it is a minefield of information!  I hope this helps you to make a decision anyway and wish you well with your caring needs.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on and if we can be of any help/support to you then please just say.  All the best.  :smile:

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Karen777
    Karen777 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Thanks a lot 4 the reply guys much appreciated xx
  • Rhodie72
    Rhodie72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    CA is a minefield but my experience as a fulltime carer was thus:
     she can earn up to £120 a week without affecting it. If she earns more than the maximum amount she will lose the CA payment and the time issues:

If carer only does 25 to 34 hours a week she will be entitled to just carer's credit (a tax recognition) but 35 hours or more a week gives the full award as long as weekly income isn't breached.
    Dream big, plan well, achieve goals, live the dream.

• griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Carers can do adhoc work and when I declared the work I did they based it on a month,not a week.  So I worked 3 days on prepping local authority postal ballot papers (typically 9.30-4pm).    When I initially called they asked me to call back when I had payment as the local authority pay everyone, even casual staff, once a month.  They thanked me for information but said it would not affect my carers allowance.   I was also going to work in polling station at the last election  which is one long day (6am-11pm) and you get paid approx. £265 before tax.   Unfortunately I couldn't do it as my hubby who I get carers for had hospital appointment that day but again when I informed them I was going to be working they told me to ring when I had the monthly payslip.  They also followed up their decsion not to deduct anything with  letter.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The earnings limit of £128 per week can include certain deductions, for carers credit you have to be providing care between 20 and 34 hours NOT 25 hours. @Rhodie72 I would have to disagree when you say it's a minefield it really isn't, had a case recently when it was sorted in a matter of day and payment started in two weeks. Care btw can include all manner of things e.g supervision.
    It really is a simple benefit to claim and I would urge anyone who qualifies to claim it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• vicki45
    vicki45 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    my son is 56 and is my carer.  i am on pension and dla, old style.  he also cares for his autistic son of 21 who is a student.  he used to get roadie work 10 hours a week  @ £10ph = £100 which paid for food and utilities.  he gets rent allowance, there is a £14 shortfall on this..  he has had no work since february since covid.  is there any way he can get help to pay for food and heating?  i am helping them out as much as i can so at present 3 adults are mainly lving on my pension and i am nearly £1000 overdrawn.  the bank will not give me a loan only an overdraft which is £900.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    vicki45 said:
    my son is 56 and is my carer.  i am on pension and dla, old style.  he also cares for his autistic son of 21 who is a student.  he used to get roadie work 10 hours a week  @ £10ph = £100 which paid for food and utilities.  he gets rent allowance, there is a £14 shortfall on this..  he has had no work since february since covid.  is there any way he can get help to pay for food and heating?  i am helping them out as much as i can so at present 3 adults are mainly lving on my pension and i am nearly £1000 overdrawn.  the bank will not give me a loan only an overdraft which is £900.
    HI,

Rent allowance, i'm assuming you mean housing benefit? Does he claim tax credits at all? What other benefits does he claim besides the carers allowance and housing benefit?

Does he live with a partner that works?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • vicki45
  • vicki45
    he lives with his student son
  • poppy123456
    vicki45 said:
    none

He should use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit, https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=e2c2430b-2f6d-447c-8953-7e2603424c9c

Do be aware that if he claims for UC then his housing benefit will continue for 2 weeks and then transfer across to UC. UC is a monthly benefit which includes various elements.

As he's claiming carers allowance this will be deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement but then he needs to make sure he tells them he's a carer and the carers element will be added.

If he's privately renting then he'll need a tenancy agreement to be able to claim for the housing element.

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and can be claimed from his local council.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • vicki45
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

If they are unable to use the benefits calculator then contacting a local advice agency near them for a full benefits check will be very helpful.

It's very difficult to give any specific advice without knowing all of their circumstances.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.