Hi all, my name is James, nice to meet you. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi all, my name is James, nice to meet you.

jimflindt25
jimflindt25 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I've joined after I've been feeling a bit anxious recently (who isn't) but I've had the weirdest experience and was hoping someone might have had the same one or be able to help/give some input. Sorry for the life story coming up?. 

About 2 months ago I was throwing my child around and something bubbled in my stomach and went up towards my chest for lack of better term. After that my left chest started stabbing and got quite breathless so naturally thought I'd had a heart attack. Went to hospital next morning, everything came back ok on blood and x-ray. So went home again. Since then been having stabbing chest pains and back on top of breathing problems.

Around this same sort of time (few days before I went to hospital) I was trying to nod off and every time I'd be about to enter a sleep I'd feel like I'd forgotten to breathe and would wake up gasping for air. First night this happened I looked on Google, as you do and found central/obstructive sleep apnea. This continued for 4 days and I think I must have actually slept about 4 hours total in that 4 days, probably because my brain passed out on me, and then I took some sleeping pills (which I know you're not supposed to) and they did help me sleep. I did wake up a couple of times still and a couple of times I did feel very out of breath. But i slept. I came off of them after 3 days and then somehow was able to sleep again without them for a couple of weeks. Now I'm back in the same place doing the same thing. But sometimes even the sleeping pills struggle to keep me asleep all night. 

My question is, could the sleep side be severe anxiety? Because it it was, I'd assume it wouldn't happen almost every time I'm about to nod off and my breath feels like it's starting to thin as well if that helps? Anxiety was listed as another main cause of this type of sleeping problem. Is this something anyone else has experienced? 

Also in the lead up to this, took sertreline 50mg for ata week and100mg the day after.  I'd taken 50mg before for a few months then suddenly came off of it. When I took the 100mg my temp spiked to 38.5 so stopped taking them while on the sleeping pills and moving forward to now, Any connections? 

Thank you for your time anyone who reads or answers 

Comments

• jimflindt25
    Sorry to post again but thought I'd add that I have seen a Dr about this but they are, of course not seeing anyone cause of the pandemic.  Also getting like an under the skin tremor/twitch below my left eye and off my nose slightly. 

Thanks again 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jimflindt25 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I'm very sorry to read about the difficulties you've had as well as the scary experience feeling you'd had a heart attack. I'm pleased all was well when you went to hospital. I can understand what you are going through has still left you with many queries. Unfortunately we're not medically qualified, so unable to help you with any answers. Even tho you can't see your GP at the moment, you would still be able to phone & let them know your concerns.
    Please let us know how you get on & keep in touch, thank you. :)
  • jimflindt25
    Thank you for your reply ? I have spoken to the gp but things are moving slowly. Just wondering if anyone had any input on the sleep side of things but I do understand noone is medically qualified on here. Thanks again 

James
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Some of those symptoms sound like they'd be quite troubling @jimflindt25. Unfortunately as @chiarieds said, we're not medically trained so it wouldn't be appropriate for us to advise. My local surgery are seeing some patients (in the car park of all places!) is yours offering anything similar? Would it be possible to get a telephone appointment?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jimflindt25 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear about everything you are going through health-wise as this must be extremely stressful for you.  I would reiterate that your best option is to speak to your GP on the phone if you can't see him/her in another way.  I know things may seem slow via the phone, but I'm sure the GP will be able to provide some kind of insight into what is going on or advise/refer you further.  I hope your health improves soon anyway and you can get to the bottom of things.  Please chat to us if you need us as we all appreciate how worrying these things can be.  We are here to support you on the forum if you need us.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  If we can be of any help to you then please just say.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • philj
    philj Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi james ive just joined the group and after reading your difficulties im not a doctor but have taken sertraline and ive suffered sleep/apnea for over 20 years it can be quite scary when you have a slight attack the meaning of this is that your heart is missing a very very slight beat but in saying that its horrible but my advice for this is to get up and have a small walk round your room and take a cool glass of water give it 5/10 mins and try again as for the sertraline as of most tablets they normally take around 3 weeks to notice a difference but the dose your on is quite high so maybe just maybe they are disturbing your brainwaves but you will in time start to relax day by day month by month its a slow process but keep with it and think positive cheers phil
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @philj and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I hope you are keeping safe and well and have had a nice weekend.  Thank you for joining us.  I hope you enjoy your time with us on the Community and I look forward to seeing you on here.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jimflindt25 Welcome to the community from me too, its great to see you here.

I hope you manage to get your problem sorted and can start to get some sleep and peace of mind

Wishing you well and look forward to seeing you around
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jimflindt25

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I’m one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Sorry to here about your current problems with regards to your sleep.

I do hope that someone will be able to help you with things.

Please please let me know if there’s any else that I can help/support you with.

@steve51

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.