Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Room 101!!!

66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 2,115 Disability Gamechanger

Room 101

In this thread you can put trivial things that annoy you into Room 101. Things like war or disability don’t count, they are already in there automatically. This is for those little things that annoy you that don’t really matter!

A few of mine:

~ Ripped jeans

~ Use of mobile phones in restaurants

~ People who drive in the middle lane of the motorway when there is nothing in the left hand lane

So, what would you put into Room 101? :D :) :o

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 4,568 Disability Gamechanger
    My few

People who park cars half on the pavement so block way for wheelchairs and also park over the drop kerbs

Anythng sci-fi or aliens

t

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,385 Disability Gamechanger
    1) Mr Cummings  :)
    2) people who are late
    3)Eastenders
    4) Covid 19
    I do have many more  :)
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,999 Disability Gamechanger
    inaccessible shops

grey roots

spiders

flies

I could go on!
  • AilsAils Community champion Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    People who are ignorant.
    Eggs.
    Horrible weather!

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 767 Pioneering
    Boxes that don't open properly...you know the ones where you lift the end and it leaves half the cardboard behind! :D 

And in the same vane, stickers that don't come off cleanly, rip into tiny peices and leave sticky residue behind! 

Oh and car paintwork swirls...that's probably quite a niche one! :p

• RonniRonni Member Posts: 162 Pioneering
    Pill bottles you cant open. Or out else that requires opening.
    Flat packs.
    Anything that with foreign instructions and no pictures.
    Fb Twitter etc.
    Forms.
    Window locks that have a lever u have to push pull to open....windows not been open for yr. 
    Calling a place adapted  when person living cant use kitchen bathroom open windows or access boiler.  Keys cant find them havent used them for years.
    Hair brush I cant find either looked all yesterday used it day before.
    Bad hair day. 
    Can we put grumpiness  in room 101.🤓😧
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,550 Scope community team
    Flimsy phone chargers
    Ridiculously over-produced TV talent shows
    Piles of washing
    Instruction manuals
    Clicking on a news report only to find it's actually a video
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 2,115 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 4
    Lots of really good ones here! Some really funny trivial things which actually are quite annoying, which is what I was hoping for haha :D

A few more of mine

- Use of the word "of" instead of "have". E.g. "should of" or "could of" :angry::D

- Use of the word "lockdown" to describe a few shops being shut and not being able to go to the pub

- People not thanking you when you make way for them (can be in car or on foot)

- A gap between the top of someone's socks and the bottom of their trousers
  • Jeanie_ZzJeanie_Zz Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Stickers and labels on stuff so you try and peel them and it just tears off a tiny dot and leaves a sticky mess
  • Jeanie_ZzJeanie_Zz Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Oh and when you see someone chewing gum especially when they’re being interview on tv WHY!?
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,550 Scope community team
    Losing the TV remote.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • AilsAils Community champion Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    The new meaning of words like "wicked" and "sick" and people using the new meaning to describe something!

Finding only one sock in the washing machine.

Pavements with a high kerb that you can't get your scooter or wheelchair onto by yourself.
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • CJ61CJ61 Member Posts: 51 Courageous
    TV programmes with rich celebrities traveling the world to places I can only dream of visiting and paying them to do it

Soap operas. All they do is shout and scream and be mean to each other 

• M_AnthonyM_Anthony Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    edited June 8
    Mine are:
    • Bullies and narcissists
    • Being asked to fill in surveys on how we did every time you have ordered something online
    • Clickbait/Image manipulation on YouTube much makes videos more interesting than they are or simply misleading
    • Making service announcements on the underground when the trains pulls in, you can't hear it.
    • Deciding to terminate buses before they reach their destination
    • Computers locking up. Back in the old days they crashed and had the courtesy to reboot at the same time, now you have to hold the power button to turn them off and then back on.
    Great additions here thanks for the posts! :)

As for computers locking up, I agree! They also had the decency to actually crash rather than leave you guessing!! Also, it seems now that webpages are much more advanced, but not necessarily better - in the old days when web pages were simple and basic, they loaded up instantly, now it takes several seconds!
    If we putting annoying things room 101.. can we include...
    MrTrump
    MR Johnson. The whole entire BMI British....
    How bugs the..
    Sqease the american gov in to. If theres no room perhaps Chester zoo would accomadate.

Throw in facebook Twitter and social that be out ther..all choas. 
    Maybe things be more peaceful and calming... did I miss anyone.😇❤
    edited June 8
    I agree with social media! If we were being really drastic I'd put the whole internet in, although then we wouldn't be able to post on here! Maybe just the "cess pit" internet that is YouTube comments, comments on news articles etc!
    @66Mustang
    🤪that would be bad🤪
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,588 Scope community team
    • Messy room
    • Running out of coffee
    • People who talk loudly on trains
    • Salt and vinegar crisps
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    The single beard hair that I always miss when shaving!  

The number not pressing on the TV remote...then coming up twice when you press it again...  :D 

And on that note, TV volume not being an even number! 

Curtains that aren't blackout!  :D
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • lindyhobbitlindyhobbit Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Clothes hangers. They always get tangled.   Teens who swear like troopers.  Bad spelling.  
  • lindyhobbitlindyhobbit Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Extra loud people
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 2,238 Pioneering
    Parking opposite T junctions
    parking on bends 
    potholes millions of them!
    Lots more great suggestions thanks for posting :)
    Hi @Ails I got fed up with finding a sock missing so I bought eighteen brand new totally black ones! Ha ha! Now I don’t care if one goes missing because I still have pairs of socks etc. Hint; buy them all the same make, they may discolour and shrink at different rates otherwise.

into the room 101 with odd nails and screws left on the road following a visit! (All about cars today!)
  • Bell11Bell11 Member Posts: 24 Connected
    Trousers under the bum... :#.   Why there is a backside in the trousers... kids find it fashion. Man wear them down the same in prison to say I'm available..     :/ why are our future generation doing it ...
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,999 Disability Gamechanger
    Poor use of English eg` I would of gone` instead of ` I would have gone`  and `th` said as `f`.
    @Bell11 My understanding of the trousers thing was due to prisoners not being allowed to have belts due to using them to hang themselves, so their trousers always fell down, and it turned into a bit of a fashion for chavs to wear their trousers round their thighs. Your explanation sounds just as plausible though, who knows which is correct. Regardless I agree with you though, maybe we are in the minority, but I do not see the attraction in an inch of exposed butt crack! :s

@pollyanna1052 I totally agree, "of" instead of "have" is one of the grammar errors I find most irritating! :D
    The stench of barbecue kerosene or whatever it is when you were enjoying a nice sit in the garden. (Ive never barbecued)
    Likewise bonfires on sweltering hot summer evenings when you really need the windows open.
    edited July 20
    @leeCal I am afraid my family are part of that group, I love a barbecue, furthermore we usually light the fire pit afterwards using the BBQ charcoals and some extra wood. Sorry :#

That said I do get annoyed when I smell other peoples' BBQs............annoyed that I am not having some!!!
  • rox001rox001 Member Posts: 12 Connected
    People who are late
    people who are rude
    people who are unkind and spiteful 
    my Dog pestering me to go out and when I open the door she goes and sits in the chair. 
    Soap operas 
    BBC news
    Untidiness 
    laziness
    ... and people that just go on and on and ... 😁

People who get offended when you hold open a door for them and assume you are doing so because you think they are incapable of holding it themselves. Often they bring up a completely irrelevant characteristic of themselves like they are old / female / have brown hair and it is ageist / sexist / brown hairist to help them. No you help them because it is the polite thing to do but people like that make me not want to do it any more which is sad for the majority of people who are decent and don't deserve to have the door slammed in their face!
  • ross2503ross2503 Member Posts: 91 Pioneering
    Those who are queuing at a shop and have only bought a couple of things, they know how much it'll be, but wait until the cashier tells them the cost to then rummage through their bag, not be able to find their wallet / purse and take ages to find their card / cash. Consequently the whole line is held up for what seems like ages. 
    It does seem to come as a surprise to some people when they are asked to pay for their products! :D
  • debbiedee513debbiedee513 Member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Loud people, slamming doors, people who chat to you one day and ignore you the next
    Nosey chemists assistants who ask “what is this for?” In public before handing your medication to you. Embarrassing or what! Or is it just me? 😬
  • Leigh_SLeigh_S Member Posts: 7 Listener
    ‘On’ accident, no just no. And it’s often people who are old enough to know better.

• maple247maple247 Member Posts: 8 Connected
    • Being late (oh no, not again!)
    • Other people being judgemental about my lateness 
    • Acne in middle age
    • People looking at their mobile phone instead of where they're walking
    Plastic wheel trims that snap as soon as soon as look at a curb or fall off in a high wind. 
    A loaf of bread which has been squished! 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • ross2503ross2503 Member Posts: 91 Pioneering
    @Chloe_Scope
    Nobody likes squishy bread! :( 
    maple247 said:
    • People looking at their mobile phone instead of where they're walking
    "Phone Zombies" I think they are called!

Especially annoying when they blame you when you bump into them!

A family member (who is much more confident than me!) has stopped moving out of the way for phone zombies. This person always moves out of the way for buggies, dogs, elderly people, wheelchairs etc. but when it comes to a phone zombie they will simply continue waking straight at them and will happily bump right into them.
    66Mustang said:

A family member (who is much more confident than me!) has stopped moving out of the way for phone zombies. 
    I wish I was this bold! :D
    edited July 26
    Umbrellas which on a wet but windy day turn inside out forcing you to struggle with the thing whilst getting soaked! Surely a design fault... 🌂
  • amyhutchinson_12amyhutchinson_12 Member Posts: 8 Connected
    When people in front of you are just standing there and you proceed to walk past them but then they start walking, get in front of you and you have to stop so you don't bump into them. 

Oh! And people who don't say thank you when you move out of the way for them. Had this happen a lot during lockdown, and people just taking up pavements so you have to shove yourself to the side.

Oh! And people who don't say thank you when you move out of the way for them. Had this happen a lot during lockdown, and people just taking up pavements so you have to shove yourself to the side.
    I agree with this, and not just during the 2 meter rule but before it as well. We walk the dog every day on a route that is shared with a lot of other dog wakers, runners and cyclists and we have to move out of the way often. I'd say about 3/4 of the dog walkers say thank you, maybe because they see another dog owner as a kind of friend? About 1/3 of the cyclists say thank you, and runners seem to be the rudest on the whole, maybe 1 in 20 say thank you.

I don't know what goes through peoples' mind when they don't thank you. Is it maliciousness or just ignorance, or are they just self entitled?

Before it is mentioned, I know some people have social issues, I have autism myself (but still manage a nod/smile or sometimes a thank you), but I refuse to believe that half the population have these issues, I think most of them are just pain rude!
    66Mustang said:

and runners seem to be the rudest on the whole, maybe 1 in 20 say thank you.
    I agree with this, too! It takes a great deal of effort to get out of the way (walking is hard if I have to turn), so while gratitude is not essential it is very much appreciated.

As for the runners, the only concession I can make is that they might not have much breath available for thanks. But a nod, or even just a smile, would go a long way...
  • RAwarriorRAwarrior Member Posts: 621 Pioneering
    People who park in Blue Badge spaces who are not disabled especially in supermarkets and parks where they don’t get a parking ticket meaning there is no space left for the people who do need the parking space.
    People who use other people’s Blue Badges.
    Getting abuse from people in supermarkets because I am too slow at the checkout.
    Bullies in the workplace who bully disabled staff and then it is covered up by management who would rather protect the bully at all costs.
    Cyclists who are not supposed to cycle in the park then expect disabled people to get out of the way.
    People who don’t social distance.
    Talking down to disabled people.
    Queue jumping.
    People suggesting wonder diets to cure someone.
    People telling me I don’t look sick.
    The long term effects workplace bullying has on disabled staff including PTSD as we already have enough to deal with without being bullied.
    People ignoring the lockdown.
    Getting nasty comments from work colleagues because I have been shielding.
    Being made to feel worthless because I am disabled.
    The government pausing shielding before it is safe.
    Disabled people being forced back to work when it is not safe.
    Not getting any response from my MP.

Chewing gum on warm pavements.
    When your phone gets to 1%
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    I can't remember if I have already posted this one but to add to the people who don't thank you when you move aside for them, I would add drivers who don't thank you when you give way!
    Drivers who drive too close to me.

Sunday drivers.

Middle lane hoggers.

People who don’t say thank you when you move out of the way  to social distance when you are walking.

People who don’t social distance.

Moped drivers who drive too close and weave in and out of the traffic. 

Drivers who drive down a right hand turn lane and cut in at the last minute whilst everyone else has been queuing causing traffic jams and a danger to other road users.

Driver who cut across several lanes when exiting the motorway.

Drivers who  only indicate that they are turning right when they get to the turning.

Drivers who pull straight out of a side road without looking.

Motorbike riders doing wheelies on a main road.

People using other people’s Blue Badges.

People parking in Blue Badge spaces waiting for someone who is mobile saying they will only be a minute.

Healthy people parking in Blue Badge spaces because they are too lazy to walk.

edited July 29
    Receptionists who seem to want to block you from making an appointment or speaking to someone in their office. Grrrr!
    Lots and lots of driving related ones - interesting! I would tend to agree with them all! Though in truth I love driving and don't let anyone annoy me on the roads as it is my time to relax and forget about my issues. :):)

@leeCal I can see how that would be annoying yes!
    One of the most annoying is people who are not disabled parking in disabled spaces.

People who are not disabled using disabled cubicles making disabled people wait and then saying sorry they didn’t want to queue.

People who don’t say thank  you.

Workplace bullies.

Youtube adverts especially in the middle of a video.

Mobile phone zombies.

Coffee shops with heavy doors that I can’t open.

People who cough or sneeze without covering their mouth.

Spitting.

People who spoil parks, nature reserves etc and don’t take their rubbish with them. They expect others to pick it up turning places into rubbish tips spoiling the environment and endangering the wildlife.

People who feed bread to the ducks, geese etc as it can kill them.

People who feed stale bread or leftovers to ducks, geese etc.

Runners and cyclists who nearly knock me over in the park.

Runners and cyclists who don’t say thank you when I get out of their way.

• catt_tcatt_t Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hills!
    I honestly didn't realise how uphill the world is until I had to push my wheelchair through a shopping centre on one of my first times out. 

Plastic carrier bags with feeble handles that last all of 5 seconds

Dog/cat/alien poop on the pavement. 

Someone asking if I saw the dog/ cat/ alien poop before I went through it.... of course I did ,I love cleaning up the chaos of it being, well , everywhere!

Pens that have the audacity to run out of ink halfway through a sentence. 

Covid. 

People with stupid loud voices outside having a stupid loud party after my bedtime.

OK, I'm done, and my battery says 9%, and my charger has gone into hiding, so I'll let you folk have some peace. 
    edited July 30
    RAwarrior said:
    Coffee shops with heavy doors that I can’t open.
    Yes, this! Restaurants too, when I'm lucky enough to be able to go. Either I'm too feeble to open them (possible on some days) or they install huge, heavy, tall doors that aren't counterweighted properly! I've spent a lot of time standing outside an establishment because I can't open the door, while people on the inside have watched me trying like it's an episode of Insert Reality TV Show Here. Must be the glass windows! 

Ahh, good times :D
    @catt_t
    I agree about the dog mess in streets. Dog mess also it is a big problem in parks/ nature reserves which along with the rubbish many people leave behind ruins the environment. 

Cyclists who cycle on accessible paths in parks or nature reserve designed for people with disabilities and in particular wheelchair users especially when there are extensive places for cyclists to use but they choose to ignore the No Cycling signs and put disabled visitors in danger.

Receding hairline in your 20s...  :s
    Oh, and summer... 

Honestly, what do people like about this!?  Hot, sweaty, headaches, nosebleeds, bugs, pollen, having to peel myself off of any chair!  And don't get me started on hot, humid sleepless nights...  Hurry up Autumn!  :#
    @OverlyAnxious totally agree about summer, as far as I’m concerned anything over twenty five C is inclement weather. 
  • catt_tcatt_t Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Oh, and summer... 

Honestly, what do people like about this!?  Hot, sweaty, headaches, nosebleeds, bugs, pollen, having to peel myself off of any chair!  And don't get me started on hot, humid sleepless nights...  Hurry up Autumn!  :#

Thank goodness!
    I thought I was the only person who didn't look forward to summer. I love autumn, the colours, the smells, the wind, oh I really miss walking in the wind ... keep your smelly summer with sunburn, sweaty smells, I'm team autumn all the way!!
    @66Mustang

Drivers who drive down the street in the middle of the night with their car stereo at full volume.

People who stand in the street and talk in the middle of the night. 

People who decide to burn rubbish on a sunny day.

Noisy neighbours.

People who double park.

People who park across the pavement.

• SussexAndySussexAndy Member Posts: 15 Courageous
    Dating Sites.       Most of them are scams and do not cater for disabled people

Cults.                  Not just religious but cults in every sense.  People who influence others for personal gain.

Corporations      Just evil, never play by the rules and creates hell for anyone who challenges them 

Conservatives    99% of them should be locked up for acts against humanity and acting like corporations 

Really narrow bicycle seats
    combs which make your hair go static 
    having to shave (once a day hooooowwwwll!) 🌒 🐺 
    I know I have posted this before but people who are not disabled parking in disabled spaces especially the ones that say they didn’t realise it was a disabled space!

People who cannot get a space in the family spaces at the supermarket so park in the disabled spaces.

Supermarkets who put the disabled spaces further away than the family spaces. 

People who park in disabled spaces who are not disabled when there are hardly any disabled spaces in the first place.

People who park too close so I can’t get into the car.

People who don’t believe that someone is disabled. 

People who park in disabled spaces when there are lots of other parking spaces available. An able bodied security guard at work used to regularly park in the disabled spaces out of spite when there were plenty of spaces. 

Supermarkets who nor enforce parking restrictions in relation to disabled parking spaces.

Customers in supermarkets who don’t join the correct trolley by joining the larger trolley to the smaller ones thereby tangling them so I can’t access them. 

Supermarket staff removing all the small trolleys and putting them at the entrance.

Supermarkets putting the trolleys far away from the disabled parking spaces.

People that say to move on or pull yourself together.

People who ask how you are only because they are being nosey and want to spread gossip.

Office politics, malicious gossip and cliques.

People who say they know how I feel.

Being excluded, being left out or treated as an afterthought especially at work.

People who tell me a relative has a bad knee when they ask me about Rheumatoid Arthritis especially after I have explained what Rheumatoid Arthritis is.

People who tell me not to take my prescribed medication and to follow an alternative medicine regime and I will be cured in three months.

A work colleague saying I deserved to get RA because I didn’t eat properly and this ties in with the alternative medicine regime.

People telling Turmeric will cure me.

Anything to do with Blue Badge misuse.

• BumblesBumbles Member Posts: 19 Listener
    People who start a conversation by saying SO.
    people who don’t know me but tell me there is nothing wrong with me and to stop using a disabled parking space.
    People who think it funny play their music and sing out loud at 3am down our road.
  • Butler356Butler356 Member Posts: 16 Connected
    DISABILITY BADGES DISPLAYED ON EMPLOYEES STRAP LINES - when they do not adhere to them!!!
  • Butler356Butler356 Member Posts: 16 Connected
    DISABILITY CONFIDENT BADGES I MEAN, 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Administrator Posts: 795 Pioneering
    edited August 4
    Whenever you settle down with your Sunday roast, get stuck in, you pull up the TV guide hoping there's a decent film on, and then there's absolutely nothing and it's back to watching the news again :D 

Online Community Coordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    Or @Ross_Scope you find that it’s a re run of an old film. Whenever I see the Titanic is on I get that sinking feeling.
    @Butler356
    An excellent comment about the Disability Confidence badges. 

It also applies when employers talk about equality for disabled staff when in practice it is meaningless especially when disabled staff are bullied, have no support and the bullying is allowed to continue. I just switch off when my employer starts talking about equality for disabled staff because it means nothing in reality.
    People who assume people with sports cars are trying to show off or compensate for something...

No, almost everyone I know with a sports car have it because they enjoy it. They are not trying to show off and most couldn’t give a damn what other people think, so stop being big headed and thinking they care about what you think!

Just because you can’t afford a sports car (neither can I but I am happy for those who do have one) don’t attack others who do have one!
    @66Mustang I used to have a nice little triumph spitfire years ago and as you say I didn’t buy it to show off, just to enjoy it, which I did immensely. I have a fond memory of driving down to Cornwall with a friend with the top off and the sun and cool wind in my face...beautiful 

which reminds me into room 101 with greenfly.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Administrator Posts: 795 Pioneering
    edited August 4
    @leeCal yes definitely, all the time. It's either Titanic, Home Alone or Back to the Future every single weekend.

Also I'm a big fan of puns and I laughed so much at the one you just made there :) 

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • givingupgivingup Member Posts: 94 Courageous
    People who block driveways as their so ignorant.
    Adverts on TV as there so idiotic!
    People with mouths as big as the Mersey tunnels.
    I agree with blocking driveways because the blockee is supposed to call the council or non-emergency police number to report that they have been blocked in. The services can take over 24 hours to respond. If the blockee tries to move or touch the blocker’s car they can be punished for criminal damage.

Basically it is OK to block someone in and stop them getting to work or hospital and the law is there to protect people who block drives.
    leeCal said:
    @66Mustang I used to have a nice little triumph spitfire years ago and as you say I didn’t buy it to show off, just to enjoy it, which I did immensely. I have a fond memory of driving down to Cornwall with a friend with the top off and the sun and cool wind in my face...beautiful 

which reminds me into room 101 with greenfly.
    Lovely cars  :):)
    @66Mustang

People who assume a person is not disabled. I had someone query why I had pulled into a disabled space today and they had tooted their horn at me so I opened my car window to find out what was wrong as I assumed there was something wrong. However, they said “you have parked in a disabled space” I got out my car with the aid of my walking stick and held up my blue badge (at a distance because I maintain strict social distancing). I wasn’t confrontational but the man said to me “Oh I didn’t realise” and apologised. It is really upsetting because what gives a complete stranger the right to query why I am parking in a disabled space? 
    @RAwarrior I can see how that would be annoying :( It is odd that that would query you before you get out of the car...It is bad enough when people query someone who doesn’t look disabled but they didn’t even wait for you to get out! Trying to look at it philosophically, maybe they wanted the disabled space - was it the last one?

A colleague of a family member had an accident that left them disabled and they received a large compensation payout which they used some of to buy a Porsche SUV. He takes great pleasure in antagonising people by parking in a disabled bay - can almost see them saying “look at that arrogant Porsche driver parking in a disabled spot” - then they go away when his wife gets the wheelchair out of the boot!
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,401 Pioneering
    I am getting second-hand rage from reading your comments on this post :s 

I'd put in Room 101:  People who say pacific instead of specific.  Yes I know there's bigger issues in the world but nnnnnghhh!! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

• CressCress Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Turkey Twizzlers...apparently it's been decided they should make a comeback....be afraid!

My kids used to love these but they always looked like something that had escaped the props dept. of The Walking Dead, to me! Lol
    Over fishing - generally and  everywhere
    @66Mustang
    Thank you for your comments😁

The man didn’t want to park in the disabled space. Unfortunately I actually get the “you realise this a disabled space? or “You can’t park there” before I get out of the car more than once I have got out. I have those comments in shopping centre carparks and when I go for my hospital appointments. People look at me and for some reason assume I am not disabled. I have had abuse even from other blue badge holders who want to park and seem to think it’s okay to query my disability.

I think part of the problem is the huge amount of blue badge misuse when the badge is shared amongst family members to avoid parking charges which annoys people so unfortunately some people might think I have borrowed someone else’s badge but I am only speculating. 
    I’m sorry to hear about that @RAwarrior. You could well be right that the badge misuse leads people to query but I agree they have no right to and I’d be upset if it happened to me. I can’t believe you have had abuse as well in the past :(

What I do see a lot of misuse of is the parent and child spaces so I’m going to put that into Room 101 now! :D Very often someone will park in those without a child in their car!!

The only time I’d tolerate that is if all the disabled spaces were full and a disabled person needed the extra room.
    @66Mustang

Thank you very much for your kind words and support😁

Unfortunately I have had a lot of abuse from people even before I have even got out of the car. 

It’s particularly annoying when it comes from another blue badge holder who I would think should know better. 

As I am disabled I try to support other people who are disabled. 

I have even walked over to the person but (not in a confrontational way) showing them the back of my badge with my photo ( pre Covid 19 as I keep my distance) but by then they are embarrassed because without stereotyping it is pretty clear that I am disabled. However, I shouldn’t have to do this.

It is a real problem when I attend hospital appointments because there aren’t that many disabled spaces that are free so some patients see me parking and assume I am parking in a disabled space using someone else’s badge because if I simply parked there without a badge I would get a parking fine. 

I even parked once at the hospital and I had just turned the engine off and I was going to take my blue badge out to put it on the dashboard which is not something I can do quickly due to my disability and another disabled driver immediately pulled up alongside me and asked if I was going which is fair enough but then said “you do know you have parked in a disabled space?” I replied by saying that as I had literally just parked I hadn’t had time to put my badge out but would they like to see it! I do look out to see if a driver is leaving but I would never dream of querying their disability.

I also think that part of the problem is the lack of disabled spaces which causes problems. However, it’s not an excuse for people to be abusive to other people.

Unfortunately blue badge misuse is a big problem and some of it is blatant. It really upsets me when I can’t get a space but also when I see someone else not being able to get a space because someone has used a family member’s badge particularly when they have to take a wheelchair out of the car so they need the extra space.

I often just park in the car park in the disabled spaces where there is a charge just to save the hassle. 

One of my main problems is that I need to fully open my car door to get in and out of the car so I can’t park in an ordinary space because I have not been able to get into my car on several occasions because someone has parked too close to me so I have had to wait for the driver to return.

I have mentioned the parent and child spaces in a previous post when parents cannot get a space in the parent and child spaces they park in the disabled bays. This is a problem in many supermarket disabled bays because despite the signs they don’t issue parking tickets. 

I have seen many people park in a blue badge space at the supermarket because they don’t want to walk. 

Another really annoying one is when someone is waiting in their car particularly at the supermarket and instead of parking somewhere sensible they park across two disabled spaces and then get annoyed when they have to move to let a disabled person park. 

Also the drivers that park across the entrance to the supermarket causing an obstruction again because the person has gone into the supermarket and the driver doesn’t park in a space.

I need to find a standard phrase I could use the next time I get abuse about parking in a disabled space😁
    Maybe another part of the problem is that disabled spaces in private car parks are not enforceable - anyone can park in them - so it relies on people being good citizens. In countries like the USA I believe there is more enforcement to make sure only disabled people use the spaces.
    @66Mustang

I know some shopping centres do issue parking fines. 

It’s also really annoying when someone says “I will only be a minute” especially outside a shop which means someone like me might just have to go home because they can’t park. If people only realised how being selfish impacts on disabled people😞

Many thanks for your comments 😁

Salt and vinegar crisps! 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • givingupgivingup Member Posts: 94 Courageous
    Sorry Chloe, but I love them!
  • easyeasy Member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Salt &Vinegar crisps URRRRR
    The phrase “moving forward”

It’s an expression that I have only started to hear in the last year and I find it irritating especially when people who say it to me don’t actually want to listen to me so it’s an excuse for them to talk about what they want to talk about instead dealing with the issue.

People who ask people “reach out” when they don’t mean it.

Salt and vinegar crisps! 
    It seems you picked a controversial one there!!!
    RAwarrior said:
    The phrase “moving forward”

It’s an expression that I have only started to hear in the last year and I find it irritating especially when people who say it to me don’t actually want to listen to me so it’s an excuse for them to talk about what they want to talk about instead dealing with the issue.
    Do you mean professionals who are supposed to be helping say this? I can see that being annoying :/
    @66Mustang

Yes that’s exactly what I mean. I have heard too many people say this to me when they don’t want to listen or deal with the problem so they say this to change the subject🙁 

Maybe it’s just me but it’s only an expression I have heard over the past year and when people have said it, it sounds completely out of context and like yet another excuse to do nothing instead of trying to solve the problem😞

Komodo dragons 
    @leeCal have you had a bad experience with them in the past?
Sign in or join us to comment.