HOW DISABLED PEOPLE ARE BEING MANIPULATED ONTO UNIVERSAL CREDIT — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HOW DISABLED PEOPLE ARE BEING MANIPULATED ONTO UNIVERSAL CREDIT

Options
cpm121
cpm121 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this service and I am angry at my treatment at the hands of HMRC and wanted to vent my anger and keep the rest of you informed so you are careful not to make the error that I did. To explain, I was on Working Tax Credit (WTC). Happy to be on it and no complaints. During the Furlough period, at the beginning actually, we were told that a claim could be made for lost monies (details not really relevant) Did not meet the conditions and the website suggested other means of obtaining support. It led me to other places, I put my information in and suddenly I'm being transferred to Universal Credit (UC). I am suddenly getting a lot less than on WTC. Why? Because WTC gives a disability element while UC does not give it. One has to literally dying or totally bed ridden to get the disability element in UC. Also, there is no furlough based benefit on UC. 

You can't get a move back to WTC except via Severe Disability Premium (SDP), but you have to be getting one of just four other benefits to qualify. You can't just be eligible for SDP. Which is misleading because that's what it says on the website. And of course, the fact is that the government has lifted the bar for disability additions for Universal Credit to the point that virtually nobody can reach over, has apparently escaped the HMRC and the DWP. They have forgotten that this is disability discrimination.

So as disabled persons, we should be angry. We should get it. We should understand that UC is a demeaning benefit which seeks to drag disabled people down rather than lift them up. Do NOT ever if you can help it, move to UC. Also, try and get people to support the fact that the government is disability discriminatory and does not properly support us. Maybe if we shout loud enough, they will do something just to spare themselves further embarrassment. 

As a matter of fact, a lot of people were apparently fooled in the way I was, and were transferred in the same manner over to UC. Remember there were no warnings given; the transfer was a deliberate ploy by HMRC and DWP. So much so that HMRC has now put up a warning sign in the proper websites because of the complaints. But for me and those others the damage has been done, unless they decide to reverse the decisions for those who were affected during the furlough period, which is unlikely. HMRC is just about saving their money, and don't care about discrimination or about what's right. they just want to stamp on you and me, pretty much like Hitler. 

Good luck to you all and remember, they really are out to get you!!! Make sure you avoid UC for as long as possible. Don't let them fool you. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cpm121 Welcome to the community, I am sorry to read your post and understand your frustration and agree it is a hard slog to get the benefits you deserve as a disabled person.

I went through the process of a work capability assessment on UC and went to tribunal to appeal the decision of being found fit for work. I won at appeal and was put into the LCWRA group which pays the additional amount. But I agree totally this is a hard fight.

However I wouldn't discourage people from applying you just have to be prepared to fight for what you think you are entitled to 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.