Redundancy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Redundancy

ValerieCJ
ValerieCJ Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Anyone know what should happen if you are bring made redundant as a disabled person.   I have been put in a pool but no jobs suitable for me.

Comments

• atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @ValerieCJ

A very warm welcome.

You need to seek specific advice about such matters, might I suggest that you contact ACAS on tel:0300 123 1100.

In general terms, there are usually two redundancy schemes at play, “first in last out” or “voluntary redundancy”, there is nothing specific about being deemed disabled.

There are various time frames, upon which an employer, has to give notice to their employees, that redundancies are being considered.

Let us know how you get on with. ACAS.

Stay kind and be safe.

Best wishes

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ValerieCJ, how are you today? Sorry to hear you are under the threat of redundancy it must be a worrying time, are you a member of a union?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    HI @ValerieCJ Welcome to the community great to have you on board.

There is no difference to being made redundant as a disabled person to a non disabled person , unless you believe that you have been selected for redundancy due to your disability. This could then be a case of discrimination

If others are also being made redundant then your employer should have a clear selection process for selecting employees for redundancy as mentioned this could be last in first out, performance based, maybe it is just a section or job role no longer required.

Whatever the reason there is a very clear process that should be followed and as suggested ACAS or a union can offer guidance and advice.

If there is anything ese you want to ask let us know, I am not an expert but spent 30 years in HR and have dealt with numerous redundancy situations

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.