Would I qualify for the ESA. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would I qualify for the ESA.

Gizmo691
Gizmo691 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hello everyone I hope you are all keeping well and safe, I would kindly like to ask I put in my application for ESA just before April I phoned today to ask how the application was going, I was informed that it had been picked up but due to the current situation they were running behind with the process of applications. The man I spoke with told me to make an account and I would be able to see my national insurance contributions over the last three years which he stated was what they take into account with ESA from 2017-2018- 2018- 2019- 2019- 2020, I have no gaps in these years however the amounts I have paid seem small just approx £890- £580- £ 650 over the three years will this matter in there decision. Also does anyone know if I am entitled would the money be back dated from the date they received my application, questions I know I should have asked when I spoke with them today, however my head was like mince what with trying to chase up my review with PIP. Thanks to all for your valuable time. Hope you all have a great evening. Thanks. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gizmo691 Welcome to the community, I am not very knowledgeable on ESA but I am sure other members can help and will tag them for you @Adrian_Scope @Chloe_Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Gizmo691.
    That does seem like a long time to be waiting for them to process your claim, if you've no gaps in your NI contributions you should be eligible. I believe it's usually only supposed to be a few weeks after initial claim to receive the first assessment-rate payment. Did you definitely apply for New Style ESA?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Gizmo691
    Hello, Adrian_scope, yes it was definitely the new style ESA which I applied for, I phoned on Friday just to ask again what was happening the lady explained that she could see on my file that the last person I spoke with had sent a email to the department that decide if you are entitled to the benefit, she could see this had still not been picked up, she informed me that she would write another email to them however to give it at least another week before phoning back. 
    I did explain to the lady I understand that we are all living in a difficult time and am aware there will more than likely be a back log of applications to go through, however it does not help my current situation, I also informed her on three occasions now I have been promised a call back and have not received one call, she apologised but said to give them another week. Guess nothing more I can do but wait now. Have a great evening, take care.
  • Adrian_Scope
    If you don't hear within the week I'd recommend getting in touch with your MP and asking them to chase this up, as well as putting in an official complaint. While we all understand that work forces are currently reduced etc, there is no excuse for the length of time you have been waiting. There were changes in how you can apply for NS ESA at the beginning of April/end of March and it does lead me to question whether it's been missed in the changeover. 

I really hope you hear soon. You have been more than patient. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Clarissa1
    Clarissa1 Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Hello Gizmo691,
    I know exactly how your feeling filed a medical questionnaire 27th January 20, asked in March when I would hear back told that everything was put on hold , My CAB advisor who sent the documents said they should carry out a paper based assessment ? ( not sure on this) I've sent another message on journal as still heard nothing from them .. 
  • Gizmo691
    Hello Clarissa1, apologies for the delay in responding to you, I hope you are keeping well. Have you heard from them yet thats a long time to wait for any news, its very frustrating at the best of times but even more so in this current climate. Hope you here soon if you haven't already. Hope you have a nice evening. Take care.
  • Gizmo691
    Hi Adrian_scope, I hope you are keeping well and thanks for your time. I have contacted my local councillor via email, in short the reply I got from him was that he appreciates my current situation isn't  ideal however its out of his hands funny that!..Missed a call today  from the department of working pensions, phoned them back and spoke with another advisor he informed me he could see that I contacted them last week and that the emails were sent to the team that process the claim, he said they are based in Burnley and there is not much they can do unless they answer there emails, I stated that someone from the department had phoned he looked into the system and said known one  had phoned me, I said well I would not wait over 1hour on the phone to state a lie, and that someone had phoned, he said he would send another email, he then said just to wait until you receive your letter from them I politely informed him I have been more than patient and that the time its taking to give me a decision is is just pathetic...Then phoned PIP  to see how my review is going another 1 hour waiting on the phone, then spoke with a lady who said there is a delay and you will just have to wait I asked her to check in her system if there was any notes added, she clearly sighed loudly so I could here, I asked her if there was an issue with this request she replied just give me your national insurance number at that point I just put the phone down. Oh well I suppose I have to be patient makes me laugh. 
    Hope you have a nice evening.Take care.
  • Clarissa1
    Good Morning Gizmo691,
    I was told that everything is on hold now.. So my assessment won’t be done till after this crisis is over.. ..
    With regards your PIP it took me ages to get the results from the Mandatory which they just left the same they had not looked at it, I then took them to a tribunal which I had asked CAB for advice, I won my tribunal but PIP made me wait another month for them to decide if they wanted to appeal the judges decision.. I asked CAB they told me the only way PIP can appeal is if the Judge has made an error .. They said this is incredible rare.. It took about ages.. Stay positive you can do this, it does feel like they really drag their heels.
    Stay Safe Take Care 
  • Gizmo691
    Hello  Clarissa1, thanks for your reply, thats not good that they have put your assessment on hold however hopefully your still receiving payments...Yea I will just wait now with PIP not going to stress anymore with this I will still receive payments until AUG,. Well finally after another phone call today to ESA the man I spoke with said he cant see my form in his system however he went to payments and said I have been accepted for the ESA  and they have back dated payment from 1st of April which will be paid to me on Friday so at last I have some good news..Hope your keeping well and take care. Cheers.
  • Clarissa1
    Good Evening Gizmo691,
    Thats fantastic news Congratulations, Really glad they got your ESA sorted out.. So it’s just your PIP.. My ESA !!! Lol.. Well let’s hope that Lady Luck stays with us both and b4 long we both get some more good news.. They told me that I have to contact ESA via online feed... Their phone lines are dreadful I waited hour & half to have them hang up .. Take Care 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Really pleased it sounds like they've finally sorted your ESA @Gizmo691
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Clarissa1
    Yes Adrian_scope I couldn’t be happier for Gizo691 so pleased he got the ESA sorted now he just has PIP to sort ... It’s quite funny really that I got my PIP sorted just ESA to do .. So we are in similar position.. I’ve been trying to find out if there’s anything I can do to push them mine is the work assessment medical ( I’ve been long term sick from work as unable to do my job for 18 months now ) I was awarded full PIP on both for 5yrs.. .. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @Clarissa1. They are doing a lot of assessments paper-based or offering telephone assessments if they're unable to do it paper-based. I really hope you hear something soon, be it either an assessment date or an award. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you, please let us know if you hear. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.