Aspergers and body dysmorphic disorder ( regarding face/hair ) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Aspergers and body dysmorphic disorder ( regarding face/hair )

fairybellsxo
fairybellsxo Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
edited August 2020 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello Everybody, I hope everybody is okay.

I have searched high and low for articles where these two conditions are linked together but can't find anything :( So I thought id come and ask on here.

I have suffered with body image issues from the age of 12, I remember we went on a camping trip with primary school and all the other girls would just wake up! be all exited and just go and start the day, I was up before everybody in the changing room trying to make my hair look ' right 'and worrying about how I looked for the day of activities ahead, I was never bullied for my appearance or how I looked at any point but I had these obsessive rituals in place, particularly surrounding my hair.

I have spent years and years feeling this way and obsessing over perfection I feel may be part of my condition but it has manifested in me obsessing over my appearance.

Does anybody else obsess over their appearance/ perfection? to a point where it get's in the way of them enjoying their day? and what would your advice be for struggling for this kind of thing?

Here is a link describing everything I feel/go through on a day to day basis-
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/body-dysmorphia/

Comments

• fairybellsxo
    Somebody who understands finally! It is absolutely exhausting constantly feeling like you don't look good enough, I wake up every single morning feeling sick and my entire wardrobe is a mirror :( It is so hard being conscious about how I look on-top of the social issues I can sometimes experience with autism, It's mentally exhausting.

I too avoid photographs and mirrors and I absolutely hate getting ready as it takes me absolutely forever trying to make myself feel 'comfortable '..

I have spoken with a professional I need to start counselling again so that I can get on top of it, I just feel knowing me and what Im like, only I will be able to break myself from this cycle.

Here if you need to chat about it too, I tend to keep it a secret from people due to not wanting to seem vain. 

Having taken a look at your picture myself :) I can honestly say that you have an attractive face and a lovely smile! And I would consider you a very attractive individual, but what you see won't match up to what others say due to the way the condition works :( but try to tell yourself it's just your own head and it's not TRUE, that's what I try to do.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    An entire wardrobe as a mirror doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I find it tough to get ready as well and only really have a handful of different clothes because I find most clothes quite uncomfortable and if I to try any on in a changing room, I wouldn't end up buying them!

I think you're probably right about having to conquer this by yourself, but having counselling and admitting that this is even something you experience are all positive steps and ways of tackling the issue. It's unfortunate that it's often misconstrued as vanity. All I ever really want is to not stand out at all!

Thank you for your advice. I'll try to bear it in mind! :lol:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • fairybellsxo
    Hello Adrian!

It really isn't it means I can spend hours and hours just pre-occupied, I have exactly the same issue myself I only have a handful of things I feel like I look nice/comfortable in and I never end up buying things in a changing room!

Me and my boyfriend went clothes shopping a little while ago before a night out and! I just took a deep breath and walked out and past everyone and asked what he thought, I find little uncomfortable challenges help build my confidence but Im honestly nowhere near there yet :( as much as I wish I could be.

I get the standing ' out ' comment too as it feels like all eyes are on you when your not feeling confident :) Just know that you are more than your eyes/brain tells you.

All the best.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.