stopping a bank account going into debt — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

stopping a bank account going into debt

Jinny007
Jinny007 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
I've just joined this community as we can't be the only ones with this problem! I reckon our adult son is dyspraxic, although he only has a diagnosis of dyslexia. He has a terrible memory and continually receives packages (mostly pokemon cards) through the post, which he doesn't remember ordering. When he's come home from being in town, I sometimes look in his bag and he doesn't remember buying what's there. One time there was ice cream, which we had to eat straight away!
I've tried to get HSBC to stop his account going into the red. I try to ask son every day what his bank balance is and usually top it up if it looks like it's going into debt. Buying online is too easy. We've cancelled his bank card twice so far and just gave him cash, but nowadays retailers are very often only using cards. I want him to be independant, but why can't the bank stop debits going through? thanks

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    Ask your bank to take away his overdraft facility.

If they don't do this, you could try another bank. I am with NatWest and I don't have an overdraft. If I try to buy something without funds available it just doesn't go through.
  • Jinny007
    He doesn't have an overdraft facility. He just gets a text to warn him that his account will be going into the red that day and I transfer money to cover it. Thankfully it's never lots and he pays me back when he gets his next benefit payment, but i keep thinking that there must be a better way. I'll look into NatWest. thanks.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jinny007 Welcome to the community. I would talk to other banks about what they can offer it must be possible. My son has a go henry account  (for children) which I top up each month and he gets a weekly allowance paid, I know this isn't what you want, but it gives me the facility to authorise where he can spend the money eg online, retail, or cash machine and these options can be switched on and off at anytime.

The point I am making is that is must be possible 
  • Jinny007
    I've suggested to him that he changes accounts, but he doesn't like change! I'm going to find out what Nat West offer and then write a letter to HSBC. The response I've had from HSBC so far is that he's an adult and capable of making his own decisions. He does a lot of comfort spending. I've made him open a building society account which doesn't have online access. He gives me board money, transfers some into the building society account for a rainy day and then it's his decision what he does with the rest, as long as he stays in credit!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Always difficult when it's an adult, in all honesty many of us atm are "comfort" spending, I've never had so many parcels delivered in my life, if HSBC won't help the only option is to change his bank.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Jinny007
    thanks, woodbine. I'll find out what other banks do and send HSBC a letter asking them to "make adjustments".
  • Jinny007
    Thanks, Mike. I'll look into a basic bank account. We're currently trying to wean him off some medication and then I hope he'll be more capable of making decisions himself.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.