Shielding scheme may end in July - how do you feel? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shielding scheme may end in July - how do you feel?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
Ministers hope to drop the shielding programme for the most vulnerable people at the end of next month, as levels of the virus in circulation fall. Some 2.2 million people with pre-existing health conditions that make them particularly susceptible to Covid-19 were sent letters in late March or early April telling them they should not leave their homes for at least 12 weeks. Whitehall sources said last night that lifting the restrictions was “under active consideration”, with a decision expected in the coming weeks. When the shielding programme began, those involved were told not to leave their home or garden, including for exercise, shopping or to go to work. The group includes people with certain types of cancer, conditions that lower immunity and recipients of donor organs.  

The Times
July doesn't seem too far away at this point, but how do you feel about the possible end of the shielding programme? Are you ready to go back outside? Do you feel safe to do so? Do you feel it's too early or can it not come soon enough?
Community Manager
Scope
Tagged:

Comments

• yingtong
    yingtong Community member Posts: 37 Pioneering
    I’ve got to think about this there are to mu ch conflict between the experts!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Initially the shielding programme was for 12 weeks, surely those 12 weeks must be almost up? the sooner we all get back to normal the better for our sanity and economy.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ronni
    Ronni Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    I ready to go some places. But The pessimist in me says.. not going to be possible for a long time.

Because they havent thought to give us back our support services first.

In my area the local link and ring a ride or taxis will not take wheel chairs.

I couldn't queue for hours or shop on my own either.

They didn't  plan going back to schools well. They not planned this well either.

There will come a point when it's not the virus keeping us in.  
    It will be lack of support services .increased barriers. Accessibility issues.
    We still going to be Even more socially excluded then ever before.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    At the moment I still wouldn't be comfortable with using public transport.
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.