Types of barriers on the road for wheelchair users — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Types of barriers on the road for wheelchair users

markdougall
markdougall Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi everyone! 

I was wondering if you guys could input the types of barriers you encounter while traveling. It could be something like kerbs, steep ramps, or a narrow road.  :)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi As a wheelchair user my main frustration is other people and their lack of awareness of the problems they are causing both to wheelchair users and prams.

Parking halfway over a pavement is my pet hate as you cant get past the car, parking over drop kerbs with double yellow lines on, repair work to pavements giving no alternative pathway to wheelchairs, uneven surfaces

If you use a manual wheelchair ramps are not really any help as it is too hard to propel yourself up and down them.

I could go on all day but wont bore you 
  • caitswildecake
    caitswildecake Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Despite there being lifts at my college they were pretty small and cramped and there’s been times I’d show up and the lift is out of use so I wouldn’t get to my lesson 
  • Ronni
    Ronni Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    *dustbins left on foot paths.
    *the red tile white brick sloping curb offer have a gutter.
    *lack of sloping  curbs meaning you have go back the way you came and go on the road.
    * people parking in front of sloping kerb.
    *traffic lights with the button on the road side. (And those with lights facing wrong way)

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    I often need to go along the  road  because pavements are too difficult. 
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    Grass is my bugbear. 
  • markdougall
    markdougall Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Thank You all for the information  :)
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Uneven pavements are causing me great discomfort and pain. I feel as though I am being constantly bounced back and forwards like someone is pushing and pulling you throughout my journey. I do wonder what damage this is doing to my body longterm. A bit like someone using a pnematic drill!
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Kerbs, cracked pavements, too many kerbs and slopes that drag me onto the road. People sometimes blocking pavements. 
  • mousey
    mousey Scope Member Posts: 43 Courageous
    The biggest barrier for me (on my scooter but I'm getting a manual chair) is BINS! Combined with a car half parked on the pavement it's a nightmare. That, and too few dropped kerbs and then they're sometimes over an inch high!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.