UC and New Style ESA enquiry. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and New Style ESA enquiry.

Options
Silver925
Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
Hi not been on for a while. I hope everyone well and keeping safe. I just wanted some conformation please. My sister who has been a Carer for over 20 years lost her Husband at the start of April. She was getting Carers allowance which stopped. I had to help her apply for UC remotely because of lockdown as she was so scared and hasn't claimed anything for years her husband did it. I spoke to her over landline while she filled in UC claim on her smart phone. Later the next day she got call to confirm her Identity. She got her first payment end of May. She sends in sick notes from Doctor. She is anxious that she's claimed the wrong benefit and says should she claim ESA New Style instead. I said that was for people who paid NICs through work so no. Could someone tell me if this is correct. Sorry for long winded question. She did not really understand the modern Benefits system. Thanks

Comments

• Crumbled72
    Crumbled72 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    New style esa is these days included to Universal Credit, she only needs to apply separately if she would be eligible for Contribution based ESA. My year of that just ended, so back to Carers Allowance (cannot be paid at the same time). 
    She just needs to tell properly her needs, medical conditions etc. UC will then decide if she needs f2f assessment.
    All you need is L❤️VE ..and oxygen ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome, IF she is sending in sick notes this will prompt a work capability assessment. She will be sent UC50 form to complete and then have an assessment similar to PIP. She could then be given one of 3 outcomes
    1 Found fit for work (would be expected to look for work and have work coach interviews
    2 Limited capability to work (be expected to prepare for work and when required attend training)
    3 Limited capability for work related activities ( not required to look for work and an additional payment made on top oif UC approx. £341 per month)

Does she claim PIP or would she be eligible for this
  • Silver925
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply. No she is not eligible for PIP. She has very bad anxiety at the moment because of her Husband's death. She said she was told on the phone she might be able to get NS ESA but she hasn't worked for many years. I think she might have been misinformed as I thought you needed to have paid NICs through employment. 
  • Silver925
    Options
    She also got a bereavement payment after he died and a run on of Carer's Allowance for a short while. I think she spoke to a benefits advisor it was just very difficult to help her when you can't see anyone in person. She got it all sorted in the end. Thanks for your reply.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.