Am I the only disabled parent in Derby to an ablebodied child? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I the only disabled parent in Derby to an ablebodied child?

Rach2020
Rach2020 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I have only joined up today.
I'm 39, I'm looking to make friends and see if i can find someone who can relate to my situation. 
I walk around with the assistance of a wheelchair outdoors if my legs aren't too painful. I have an 8 year old daughter who is able bodied. I feel very alone with the difficulties and challenges i face 
Am I the only disabled parent in Derby to an ablebodied child?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    @Rach2020

Good Evening it’s great to meet you today ???

Yes we have many many people/members in similar situations.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with????

@steve51
  • Rach2020
    @steve51
    Thank you. Knowing that has made me feel a million times better, just to know there are other people in my boat.
    I'm glad i braved joining this group. I don't feel so inferior now.
  • Rach2020
    @steve51 what about you?
    What do you find beneficial being in the group?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rach2020 - & welcome to the community from me too. I'm very pleased you have joined, as many here will relate to your situation. Most of us here have a disability, & I hope you find this a very friendly & supportive group. We do all try to support each other with the varied disabilities we face, so I hope you find it helpful.
    I think, particularly at this time, that this community helps people feel less isolated, & just to chat to someone else may help. Altho many forum members have different disorders, there are many things we share, such as daily pain/fatigue, which gives us some understanding.
    Please look around the forum, & join in with the discussions, or just chat here. There are links at the top of the page. The 'Coffee lounge' is where we talk about our hobbies, interests, pets, etc. & a good place for more light-hearted chats.
    I stayed on Scope as I received much support; made some very good friends, & just generally find it a good place to be. :)
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rach2020

I do hope that you have had a good morning.

My journey started in 1998 on holiday in Spain ?? 

It has been a Rollercoaster ?
    ever since.

I just love ? helping /supporting 
    people  on here.

How about you?????

@steve51

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rach2020 Welcome to the community, I am also a wheelchair user with an able bodied child well teenager and know exactly how you feel.

My son was 10 when I became disabled so not only did it change my life but his as well as I could no longer walk or drive and my main concern was that he was missing out on things and also didn't want him to become my carer.

He is my rock and does help me but not to the extent of him not enjoying his life and he is very haopy to do so. 

I think children of disabled parents become a lot more caring and helpful in general and accepting of other people may be different

IF YOU EVER WANT TO TALK JUST SEND A POST
  • Rach2020
  • Rach2020
    Thank you. I feel the same as reguards to my child being my carer and not wanting her to lose out because of my cerebral palsy.  It's great to find someone who gets where im coming from.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.