Disability premium refused — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability premium refused

frank96
frank96 Community member Posts: 38 Connected
Refused on the grounds of late notification. 2014-2017. During this period I was on IS, JSA & ESA. multiple addresses. After a log back and forth trying to get this premium backdated I was informed I needed to send old tennancies to prove sole occupancy.  I sent council tax and housing benefit letters that reflected this. Now I've been told it cannot be awarded because I was not on esa ( even though I was briefly at some point during 14-17. Bank statements state this. And premiums can be added to JSA/IS claims? I'm sure online it even says HB claims too. They have also said I should have notified them of my changes in circumstances at the time. I don't know what changes they're on about hopefully the letter they send will be clearer. I've always lived alone unless I was with my mum and she is in receipt of PIP, esa & SDP. She can't even spell her own name anymore I don't know who can help me with this. I was told several times 3-5 working days check your bank. I'm truly baffled. What should I write in the reconsideration letter? Should I get a solicitor involved? 2014-2017 I was in receipt of PIP care component, nobody claimed carers. I was also on JSA, IS, ESA. LIVED ALONE. 

Comments

• rox001
    rox001 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Have you tried the CAB Frank ? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm a little baffled, how could you claim JSA and ESA at the same time?,if you were claiming ESA then by 2014-17 you wouldn't get IS, were you at any time claiming just ESA (income based) and PIP care component? Those are the only circumstances in which SDP would be payable. except in some circumstances where HB would have SDP added.
    Getting SDP back-dated isn't as far as i am aware possible or easy, perhaps you might benefit from advice from CAB or welfare rights?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• frank96
    They weren't at the same time sorry I should clarify, 2014 IS while in education, 2015 & 2016 JSA, 2017 ESA. On pip daily living & living alone at 4 different addresses during 2014-2017. Claimed HB for all addresses except mums address. SDP can be backdated i know a few people who have had it. Esa had told myself several times I was due to receive a backpayment and now they're refusing. I'll get in touch with the CAB on Monday and update on here. 
  • frank96
    Badly wrong you say?! I hope I haven't pushed the departments wrong buttons somehow and shot myself in the foot on this one. I thought it was all pretty straightforward. Will find out the outcome of my mandatory reconsideration this week. Providing that fails I'll be seeking legal advice / representation for the appeal. Have you known of the DWP to refuse back-dating of SDP?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.