Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

What happens now

Hi all, please be gentle as this is my first posting.
i currently receive higher rate pip & standard rate for mobility, I have applied also for contribution based ESA and have been told i am eligible. I filled in the questionnaire esa50 ( think that was it) usually you would have a face to face interview to ascertain what group you would be put in, however, as these are suspended temporarily what happens now? Will I have a telephone call to discuss or will they just use the information on the form in conjunction with my medical records?
many thanks 
S

Replies

• pault34pault34 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited June 21
    Hi Bumbles

I'm in a very similar position to you, I applied for Contribution Based ESA and was put on the 'Assessment Rate' backdated to Nov 2019. I filled out the ESA50 and returned it just before the 'Face-to-Face' assessments were suspended. I have also been awarded Higher Rate Daily Living and Standard Rate Mobility for PIP. I am worried that my ESA claim won't have been assessed before my current ESA claim runs out due to the 365 day limit for Contribution Based ESA on 5th Nov 2020. Does anyone know, or have any suggestion as to what will happen if my ESA claim hasn't been assessed before 5th Nov? Will they just stop ESA payments?

Hope you/we get some replies!

Thanks everyone in advance.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,030 Scope community team
    edited June 22
    Hello @bumbles and @pault34

While face-to-face assessments have been suspended they are still doing telephone assessments. If they can't progress your application via a paper-based assessment (where they just use your form and any evidence you've submitted), then you'll be offered a telephone assessment. 

Even before COVID there were long delays for assessments so you may have a little wait ahead. 
    Best of luck to you both. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • BumblesBumbles Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Adrian, 
    So I may not have to have a telephone or face to face 121 if my form and evidence I have sent is sufficient?
    S
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,030 Scope community team
    It is pretty standard for the majority of people to have an assessment (be it telephone or face to face) but some people are awarded just based on their evidence and form, yes. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.