ESA Contributary benefit and Universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Contributary benefit and Universal credit

littleacorn
littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
I receive ESA CB with no face to face assessment twice and higher rate PIP both conponemnet with no end date. I will be soon living on my own with no other income. Do I have to claim Universal credit and if so will I loose my entitlement to CB ESA if the situation changes in the future?

Comments

• littleacorn
    Just to add its CB ESA support group.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @littleacorn. Will you be renting your home when you're living on your own? And do you know if your ESA is just contribution-based or does it have an income related top up?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • littleacorn
    I will be renting. No income related top up or premiums
  • Adrian_Scope
    Is it okay to ask what the change is that means you'll be living alone? Were you on a joint claim before?

Are you looking to claim help with housing rental costs? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • littleacorn
    I was living with my husband who works and own our own house. So no other benefits applicable. As i will be renting, living by myself the only income I would have is PIP enhanced on both and ESA support group  Contributions based.  How do I pay rent, council tax, energy bills,  food etc will this be my only income or can I claim universal credit? If i can claim UC do I loose by ESA support group contributions based entitlement? I am asking this as I dont want to go through the process of reapplying for ESA again if my situation changes.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @littleacorn. Thank you, that makes things clearer. 
    If your ESA is definitely contribution-based and not New Style ESA (which is also contribution based, just the newer version) you could update them with your change in circumstances to receive the income-related top up. You should then be able to add SDP (severe disability premium) to your ESA and then apply for housing benefit. SDP is worth £66.95 a week and isn't payable if you claim UC so although it's a slightly longer process, it would be worth looking into it as an option.

Are you on the deed or own your current house at all or is it all in your husband's name? Depending on this and your other circumstances it may be that half the equity in the house is considered capital/savings for you which would unfortunately complicate things further.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • littleacorn
    The house belongs to my husband only so no capital for me unfortunatly!
  • Adrian_Scope
    That makes things far less complicated in terms of your benefits @littleacorn. So your first step would be checking if you are on the old-style Contribution-based ESA (this would mostly depend on when you applied/how long you've claimed). 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • littleacorn
    I have been claiming ESA for 5 years since April 2015
  • Adrian_Scope
    It's very likely you're on the old style contribution-based ESA then @littleacorn. You could give them a call to confirm if you're unsure. This means you should be able to (after you've moved) update them to your change in circumstances to have income-related ESA added, be assessed for SDP (so long as no one claims Carer's Allowance for you) and then apply for housing benefit once SDP is in place. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • littleacorn
    Thanks very much for the information and time.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.