Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Dwp transferred my incapacity benefit to ESA contribution based but did not automatically apply sdp?

Diva50Diva50 Member Posts: 2 Listener
I had a ESA3 form sent to me in 2018 saying an error had accured and some incapacity transfers to ESA were wrongly assessed.
My mother was terminal I'll at the time and I never filled in the form.
I rang Dwp they have sent me another ESA form but will not look into my claim unless I fill in form the form does not relate to what the error was which was about sdp not being automatically applied plus I am on contribution based support group which means I can't claim UC  ?
Please advise should I ask in writing to DWP for a revision? Or start a UC claim hoping this can be changed and any money owed backdated as I am unable to fill out the form ESA as this is not related to the problem Help is appreciated I can send a link to the Gov document about the Dwp error that happened as some claimants have received backdated benefit 

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 1,485 Pioneering
    Hi From what I understand all the claimants who had this as a possible error are being sent the form to complete and then they will review and make a decision. So I think you do have to complete the form for it to be looked at /
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    The error made on some claims which the DWP are/have investigated was that some ESA claimants only received cont. based when they should have had an income related top up. SDP has never been automatically applied, but if you do qualify for SDP then you can't change to UC.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 4,391 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to complete the form. Being in the support group has nothing to do with this and certainly doesn’t prevent a claim to UC. You absolutely do not claim UC if you’re trying to fix SDP for a past period unless you get advice from a welfare rights adviser local to you about your specific circumstances. UC remains largely a lobster pot. Once you’re in it’s near impossible to get out so don’t make that leap without advice. 

This is an area I’m very familiar with as I’m the guy who took a case, which technically lost for un-related reasons, but which established for the first time that a claim to ESA was a claim to both types. Another service found a case where the claimant would benefit from that principle and that created the case law which triggered the campaign you refer to above where DWP had to trawl through thousands of cases but... it started with me :smile:

If you wanted to be really picky (or accurate) the client actually belonged to one of my staff but I picked it up and ran with it after they left and it was my gamble on one element of it which started off the whole shebang :blush:
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,030 Scope community team
    Hi @Diva50. Just to reiterate Mike's point, claiming UC is not going to benefit your situation and can complicate trying to fix the missing SDP. 
    Is the form they've sent another ESA3 form?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.