When to start claiming DLA for child — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When to start claiming DLA for child

SKMills
SKMills Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi everyone, I hope you're all staying safe and well.

I just had a quick question regarding claiming DLA for our son who is 2. He was diagnosed with cerebral palsy last month by phone. He isn't weight-bearing on his feet yet and is also behind with his speech and language skills. I've been looking at applying for DLA for him but I'm unsure whether we are able to apply for him now, or until he reaches a certain age? He's due to have ankle splints and a standing frame later this year (not sure when). Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Stuart

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community great to have you on board

According to the internet to be able to get Higher rate mobility child must be 3 and for standard rate over 5. The daily living element has no age restriction. If it is a life limiting condition then from age 3 months

Hope tis helps and the internet is correct 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    You could ring the helpline to ask
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    edited June 2020
    Hello @SKMills and welcome to the community.

DLA is about the extra care needs of your child rather than diagnosis. There's absolutely no harm in applying now, although it can be easier for an older child. You need to be able to show and explain why your child needs extra care than another child of their age. As @janer1967 mentioned, they don't consider the mobility aspect until age 3, but if you feel your son's daily care needs are higher than another child of his age, it's definitely worth putting a claim in.

You might also be interested in our cerebral palsy board, where our CP information officer @Richard_Scope is on hand to provide support where he can.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • SKMills
    Hi all, thank you for your replies and assistance. This has been very informative for me. At the moment our son is unable to weight-bear, as both his legs are affected, but his upper body is absolutely fine. I think overall we'd be better off waiting until he turns 3 in February, or at least until we know more about his splints and standing frame. 

Thanks again,

Stuart
  • Pamela10
    Pamela10 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi. My son was diagnosed with autism just before his 2nd birthday. I was told to apply for DLA straight away. I was amazed as like in a previous comment all 2 year olds need help so I couldn't believe I could actually get financial help for something every parent would have to do. But I got the highest rate for personal care straight away. I don't know if it's more difficult now as my son is 11. They are horrible forms to fill in but just try and focus on all the things that he has difficulty with and how they impact on his life. I know it sounds like more mobility problems but if there is any difficulties with his personal care then I would fill in the form. Best of luck. I hope you get it ?
  • SKMills
    So most of the care us around mobility which he can’t yet qualify for?
    It seems that way Mike, the mobility component of DLA isn’t available until the child is at least 3. We’ll see how the rest of the year progresses and apply at a future date.
  • SKMills
    Pamela10 said:
    Hi. My son was diagnosed with autism just before his 2nd birthday. I was told to apply for DLA straight away. I was amazed as like in a previous comment all 2 year olds need help so I couldn't believe I could actually get financial help for something every parent would have to do. But I got the highest rate for personal care straight away. I don't know if it's more difficult now as my son is 11. They are horrible forms to fill in but just try and focus on all the things that he has difficulty with and how they impact on his life. I know it sounds like more mobility problems but if there is any difficulties with his personal care then I would fill in the form. Best of luck. I hope you get it ?
    Thanks for your comment Pamela! Yes, the form seems a little daunting but it’ll be worth it if the claim is approved!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.