Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Are you a writer? Share your work with us!

Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 8,970 Scope community team
edited June 24 in Coffee lounge
Today, 24th June, is National Writing Day. Whether you write a diary or like to publish your work, The National Literacy Trust encourage everyone to get involved.
This will be the fourth annual celebration of the power of writing creatively, inspiring people of all ages and abilities to try writing for fun and self-expression. 

This National Writing Day, we have published new research which shows that lockdown has inspired a resurgence in children and young people’s creative writing, which has in turn played an important role in supporting their wellbeing during this time of uncertainty.

Disabled writers

Let's not forget about our community of amazing guest bloggers who have written for us over the years. If this is something you'd be interested in doing then please email us at [email protected]

I think it's important to acknowledge the disabled writers and bloggers. Throughout the day I will be posting people who have written content to raise awareness of disability.

Are you a writer? Would you like to be a writer? Which disabled bloggers would you recommend? Let us know in the comments below!
Community Partner
Scope

Replies

• Wini1960Wini1960 Member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Chloe_Scope I love to write from the heart. So I have a few poetry/spoken words in my notes. Would you like me to share? They are not published.
  • phillycollings29phillycollings29 Member Posts: 57 Courageous
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    BBC Radio did some 'short stories' during lockdown.  I had one read by one of the presenters.  Would you like it?

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 8,970 Scope community team
    Wini1960 said:
    Chloe_Scope I love to write from the heart. So I have a few poetry/spoken words in my notes. Would you like me to share? They are not published.
    I'd love to read these!
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    BBC Radio did some 'short stories' during lockdown.  I had one read by one of the presenters.  Would you like it?

That's great @[email protected]! Yes please. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
    I'm not sure who will like this as I am a practicing Christian so I apologise if it offends anybody.
    Ever learning, in the field of training. I get knocked down didn't see that coming. My legs buckling under the strain. Others upwatching in dismay. Will she get up, or will she count herself out? Body lying there mustering every bit, every ounce of strength I get up, yes I'm up. The devil says what's up I thought this was a done deal but she'up praising God, prayers of daggers thrown at me, to the point I have to duck. Every morning, every night shouldn't have allowed that one to be in the fight. Who is to blame he asks his demons, that one should never get away.  Yet again I will take my stand,  hold his hand, love him in my victories and when I'm down but not out. I will finish the course set before me, with everlasting grace given to me. He counts me worthy, blessed, and one sweet day I will take my rest. Yes I will take my rest.

Wini1960 said:
    I'd love to read these!
    Hi @Chloe_Scope

That's great @[email protected]! Yes please. :)
    Where do I post it? Chloe
    Where do I post it @Chloe_Scope
    Hi @phillycollings29, you are more than welcome to post it here! :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • JaneCambsJaneCambs Member Posts: 20 Courageous
    I don’t write stories, just poetry and songs. I find it helps me sort my thoughts out,and is a great therapy. Nice to read writing was celebrated yesterday 
    Amazing @JaneCambs!
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    There’s an old red brick wall at the bottom of the garden but it’s covered in ivy and before it is a mini wasteland of rubbish. Broken clay pots, stinging nettles “ouch!” Dock leaves “ah” that’s better, and some barbed wire and corrugated iron “what’s underneath?” “Nothing I bet” “no a slowworm!” Golden brown, so still, dozy on a hot day “pick it up, double dare” smooth, long and very strong “Samson the slowworm” like a strong finger “ put it down and see” its so fast it’s gone in a flash. Corrugated iron replaced. “So what’s behind the old clay pot? “Ha, a yellow snail” yellow with brown stripes “could be rare, I’ll look it up later” “bye snail. Hi worm, hi woodlice.” “A mini wasteland, quiet before I came, hidden jewels everywhere, who knew.”
  • laura222laura222 Member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    I wrote this thing about the fluidity of physical mobility https://medium.com/@anelkashaw/sometimes-i-use-a-wheelchair-b75c573ade46

And lots of things from the perspective of an imaginary tortoise ... http://www.teaisforturtle.co.uk/ (This may, or may not be disability-related :p)
    @laura222. The turtle is funny, great stuff and thanks for sharing.
  • SophievgSophievg Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I'm a little late to this conversation! I wrote a blog recently for the Public Disability History site on 'Parental Advocacy and the Changing Attitudes Towards Down syndrome in Post-war Britain'. I've linked it below incase anyone is interested :) 

https://www.public-disabilityhistory.org/2020/06/parental-advocacy-and-changing.html

• SophievgSophievg Member Posts: 2 Listener
    @laura222 great pieces, thanks for sharing :) 
    Thank you for sharing this with us @laura222
    Community Partner
    Scope
    Hello @Tesdl

What an odd thing to suggest that the main character in a book not be disabled!

Personally I should love to read your story and hope you will consider writing it.  It would be insightful for me and many others as well as making compelling reading I am sure.

All the very best with it  :)
    @Tesdl I appreciate that writing your story might be hard work but it might be an idea to write it and then see how it turns out, ie interesting or not. I’m sure it would be interesting but this way you could ask others how they found it to be rather than just as an idea, just a thought.
  • JaneCambsJaneCambs Member Posts: 20 Courageous
    @Tesdl I can’t understand why someone would make such a suggestion regarding your story. I think real stories can be far more interesting and insightful than those made up. What if you made a time line of chapters with a brief synopsis of what each one would hold? Might give you an idea as to the content and flow of the possible book? It would then also be a nice reference to follow when fully writing it. Kind of like the warm up to the main event. Reading life from other people’s perspectives can teach us all many things. I am sure there is much to learn from your life experience. Don’t let an outsider put you off. Write because you feel you want to, let it be cathartic 
  • TesdlTesdl Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Yes thanks, I really should! 
  • serenkserenk Member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Very late to the party, but I am! My website is www.serenkiremitcioglu.com :) 
    Thanks for sharing @serenk! :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • Parrot123Parrot123 Member Posts: 23 Listener
    I am in the middle of a book about my life good times and ba d all true. Called baby versus Bottle
    only a few chapters i am a cancer patient. So i hope to get back to writing soon. it's my life story . Find it hard to write what happened to me as a child but i will get back to it 

lol is there a person that u can tell your story and they write your book????
    @Parrot123 good luck with your book 🙂
  • Lucy411Lucy411 Member Posts: 20 Connected
    Very late to this discussion but I'm aiming to improve inclusivity and am in need of community engagement so that I highlight issues not just pertaining to me. Let me know your thoughts; inclusivelivingconcepts.com.
  • zakynthos2020zakynthos2020 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    It’s 6am in the morning when the day is dawning. I get out of bed and wash my sleepy head and wonder what I should choose .I’ve been awake all night my mind and brains had a fight but still I’ve got nothing to lose because I’ve got the hospital blues The doctors and nurses work all day I wish they could have more pay but won’t somebody help me to sleep tonight so won’t you help me to sleep tonight take away the lamps take away the lights because I’ve got nothing to loose cos I’ve got the hospital blues.
    lol is there a person that u can tell your story and they write your book????
    @Parrot123 yes there are such people, they’re called ghost writers and for a fee they will write your book. 
  • LP004LP004 Member Posts: 14 Connected
    leeCal   I will do it for you.  If you are serious about writing your story.  Let me know.
    I write short stories and children's stories.

I need a publisher though who is not going to expect me to pay an arm and a ;leg to publish
    Hi @LP004 thank you but it’s @Parrot123 who is interested perhaps, not myself. Thanks again though.
    (by the way if you want someone to know you’ve mentioned them you have to use the @ sign before their name, then they are notified 🙂)
    edited July 10
    @leeCal , thank you for letting me know I got a little mixed up there

@Parrot123 I will write your story for you if you are serious about doing it.  Let me know.
Sign in or join us to comment.