Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

What should I write in a mandatory reconsideration for sdp

frank96frank96 Member Posts: 30 Connected
Esa have refused to pay entitled premiums for backdated period and their reason for doing so was they say they wrote to me in 2016,2017,2018 about decisions on my esa claim and said I was not entitled to any premiums and I should have asked them to look at my claim again within 31 days of receiving these letters. I never received such letters nor do I believe that they were sent out in the first place. Whomever made the decisions I was not entitled to premiums had not looked into my circumstances very well as I was in receipt of PIP low rate care comp, income based esa/JSA/housing benefit & living alone. Nobody claimed carers allowance. From what I've read in the news the DWP should have automatically paid this premium. I was unaware of it's existence at the time. Even if they did write to me saying you are in receipt of X amount why should I have questioned their decision-making at the time if I was unaware of a premium for those on pip without paid carers. 

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 1,485 Pioneering
    Hi and welcome to the community, I will tag in a couple of champions who may be able to help with your query 

@Adrian_Scope or @mikehughescq can either of you assist with this
  • frank96frank96 Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Thanks for tagging the experts but I've already sent one off today. I just highlighted eligibility rules and told them to look into my old claims and backdate the premiums. I can't believe they said they had decided multiple times not to award a premium onto benefits despite clear entitlement. And to say I only had 31 days to inform them I was unhappy of decisions I didn't even know where being made. The lady from the benefit center even mentioned i missed a health assessment back in 2016. What has that got to do with anything hahaha what a headache. Wonderful people on here though! It's a nice safe place for those who need it! 
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 1,485 Pioneering
    Good you have sent it off and hope it gets sorted for you if not or you need any further advice just ask 
  • Lou67Lou67 Member Posts: 538 Pioneering
    Hi Frank so sorry to hear everything youv went through, I really hope you get a positive outcome on your MR. 
  • ross2503ross2503 Member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Fingers crossed you get the outcome you're looking for :) You're definitely right about this community, it's a great support network!
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 8,869 Scope community team
    Hi @frank96, how are you getting on? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • frank96frank96 Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hi thanks for asking, I sent off the MR directly to benefit center Belfast recorded delivery. Called esa and they said they have no record of receiving the letter (it's been signed for) so I'll be resending another in the morning via the freepost mail handling site. I'll send 2 just to be safe. Apparently if you send directly to the benefits centre rather than via mail handling site then they won't have a the letters scanned on their systems and ESA phonestaff won't have any record of receiving it.
Sign in or join us to comment.