Pip refused. Not one point. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip refused. Not one point.

dawny63
dawny63 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
Evening  everyone.  My husband  recieved his decision today.  No points whatsoever.  We are really  shocked to say the least. It seems  as if all the problems  he has have  been  disregarded.  We have  telephoned  dwp to say we want to go down mr route.  They suggested a letter from gp as they tried calling gp and  couldn't speak to  them. So they say. Very shocked by not  one point.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to read this @dawny63 - with PIP, tho you have to list any medical conditions/disabilities in the initial claim form, it is about how such disabilities impact on a person's activities of daily living &/mobility. Problems occur when this isn't realised. Altho whomever you spoke to was trying to be helpful, there are few instances when a GP's letter may be helpful, as they don't know the difficulties your husband has with dressing, bathing, eating, for example. In fact, the onus is upon you to get any medical info you feel relevant, as it would rarely be requested.
    Imagine several people with the same diagnosis as your husband, they would most likely be affected differently, so this is what you need to get across with PIP....his individual functional difficulties.
    Please put your husband's MR in writing. Try to give a couple of examples of the difficulty he faced for each applicable activity/descriptor. In case you haven't seen these 'descriptors,' please look at the following link, including the notes at the end:  https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    You need to say why (at the time of his assessment) he had difficulty; how was it difficult, did it cause pain/fatigue during/after the activity, could he do it safely, what was the consequence of attempting/doing the activity, could he do it as often as he'd liked, did it take him longer than someone who doesn't have his particular set of problems, does he need assistance, etc ? These are just some ideas, as I don't know about his problems.
    I hope this helps, & please say if you have any questions, as people here will help & support you both with this. :)

• dawny63
    Thanks. We did list this with how disability  affects you form. But didn't  have doctors notes.  It was a telephone  assesment.  Everything  was stated but didn't  score one point. 
  • Anastasia2468
    Anastasia2468 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have exactly the same problem. Not one point. I also had a telephone assessment and I explained how I am affected. It's so annoying. I thought the letter was quite rude. 

• dawny63
    Yes like we said, how can they see how it affects people. They cant see you. My husband wouldn't  mind if it were a true reflection. But it's like the assesment wasn't  about  him. Its frustrating. 
  • Anastasia2468
    I know what you mean. I answered all their questions and I was just looking at the link provided above although I haven't got to the notes at the end yet. Basically I said I can't do this or that or I need help or prompting. They came back with I decided you can do...... and listed the things I'd told them I can't do. Was your letter the same?
  • dawny63
    Yes everything  said was changed.  Then their opinion given. Its really  terrible.  Like what you said wasn't believed. 
  • Anastasia2468
    Yes it's disgusting. Part of my problem is that I don't like being with strangers, I get very panicky and so I spend most of my time at home. If I am to pursue this, I will probably have to attend a tribunal which absolutely terrifies me. It's so wrong
  • dawny63
    That's  it. But you could take a close friend or relative  with you. Usually  people say mr isn't  succesful.  So tribunal  would be next step.  I'm sure alot of what is said gets  confused. Never mind not going to worry  about it. May catch you sometime  online. Take care and goodnight. 
  • Anastasia2468
    You too, night x

• samfits99
    samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    @dawny63 don’t give up. !!!! they score most people zero points so don’t take it personal. my award review is coming up in September and without sounding so rude I no I will get it again, as I no what I’m talking about to back everything up. also not to mention I don’t go to any assessments under no circumstances whatsoever. as I’m very aggressive, ( not proud ), my ADHD and personality disorder and other factors which I won’t go into. so mine gets done paper based, 9/10 paper based assessments get there award. ( decision maker told me), they have a good chance depending what’s on it for recommendations ect ect. not saying everyone will get it. but there is a good chance! don’t give up. 
  • dawny63
    Oh no he wont give up. Thanks.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.