Needing to return to UC after working again? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Needing to return to UC after working again?

Options
jamesbeech
jamesbeech Community member Posts: 2 Listener

hi I have been out of work for 3 years suffering from a mental disability but feel as though I could pick up work again. 

I receive UC on the LCW tariff. 

I have put out a light feeler and had a job offer from Amazon. 

I want to push myself to get over my agoraphobia, however if I start that job my benefits will decline and my claim will end. 

My worry is that after 3-6 months I will deteriorate like before and be unable to work again but that I also won’t be allowed back on benefits. 

What is the DWP’s stance if I found myself in that possession needing to go back to supported living ?? 

Will they allow my benefits claim to proceed if I had to leave the job for my mental health?

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Congratulations on the job offer @jamesbeech. If you earn enough to close your claim, it's my understanding that your LCW award stays dormant for 6 months. So if you reclaim within 6 months of it closing you should be awarded the LCW rate again.
    It's worth noting that you can work and claim LCW / LCWRA and as it awards you a work allowance (an amount you can earn before deductions are made to your UC), starting work doesn't always close your claim, it would depend on what your earnings are. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.