Would you move away for college? (NOT UNIVERSITY) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would you move away for college? (NOT UNIVERSITY)

Options
WeGotThePower
WeGotThePower Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2020 in Education
Hello all,

I'm currently 21-years old and I have mental health issues and autism. I'm thinking about moving next year for college (I decided not to move this year because I have a lot to sort out with my mental and physical health). Let me briefly tell you a bit about myself. I've only ever completed one academic year at college. So, basically when I left school, the first 3 years of leaving school you get funding to do whatever course you want to do for free. Well, I only ever did one year of funding that the government pays for. See what I mean? I did go to college after the 3-years of free funding, but it didn't work out again because of my mental and physical health (I'm on benefits, that's how I got the course for free).

Anyways, next year I should have my mental and physical health back on track. This leads me to next year. Where I live there's not many colleges offering A-levels for adults, however there is one in Hampshire that does and I really want to go there. Some people may think I'm silly because it's only college, why can't I study at a local college and not do A-levels? Well, the answer to that is: I have been to my local college before and it was terrible. The teachers had no understanding of mental health issues. They probably all thought OCD was a cleaning issue and not a devastating illness that can ruin lives. Also my weight holds me back because it makes me lack confidence.

So, I thought I'd take a year off if I am to move to Hampshire next year. I want to go to Hampshire because there's a college there that's got a really good reputation and they offer A-levels to adults. Also, one of their courses is A-level Animation, which is something I want to do! But I also want to have other A-levels to fall back on if I didn't succeed in the career I wanted.

However, even when I'm mentally and physically better, I'm so scared about moving somewhere else in the country where my mum and sisters aren't present. I come from Essex and Hampshire is a 2 and a half to 3 hour trip by car! It's quite a way to go. I know one day I'll have to move out of my mum's place, but what if something happens to her when I'm gone?! What if I really miss my mum and wouldn't be able to cope with the homesick feelings?! I know this is all probably my OCD and anxiety playing tricks on me, but I just such a worrier. Deep down I know mum would be alright, but what if I'm also missing spending time with her! I'm scared about this - but at the same time, I really want to get a good education and go to university one day.

Also, if I do move, I've got to find somewhere to live, I'll probably be driving by then, I'll have to transfer to universal credit as well. I'll probably have to live with someone; like a homestay family because I don't think I could live on my own; I'd be too lonely.

This year, whilst getting my treatments for my health, I'm going to look for permitted work under ESA.

So, given the circumstances, would you move away to a different area for college? I know people move away for university, but this is slightly different.

I just don't know what to do because I really, so badly want to study at the college I'm looking at, but at the same time, I'm scared of moving out because what if my mum isn't okay?! I get so worried. Essentially, I have one year and a few months to lose lots of weight and get my life back on track before I move away.

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    I think you will do exactly what you have set yourself to do. All best wishes.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome, It is a big decision to make and I think you are thinking logically about how you could do this.

Maybe it might be better to take things a little slower and make sure you can deal with an A level course while still in a familiar environment and if so then think about doing it out of town.

Could you do an online A level first to make sure you can cope with thr study side I know through looking myself there are pleannty of providers out there.

Keep us updated and any questions you have just ask
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @WeGotThePower and welcome to the community! How are things going at the moment?
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.