Hi, my name is Nicola — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Nicola

Options
Transverse
Transverse Community member Posts: 34 Connected
Im going into 10th month of transverse myelitis, really feeling it now.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Transverse

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let me know if you need any help getting around??

@steve51
  • Transverse
    Options
    Hi, im fine with walking aids, i just feel uncomfortable, and i just cant find anything to say what it feels like if nerves are regenerating, im really wanting to get back to normal.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Transverse and welcome to the community! I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis in 2018 - it's not an easy recovery. I lost control of all my limbs, my torso and was unable to move my head. I had to learn to sit up, stand up and walk again. Albeit, I can walk a few metres with a walking frame but it has taken a lot from me.

Have you received any physiotherapy or occupational therapy? Both therapies were crucial to my recovery and I wouldn't be typing this today if it were not for them.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @Transverse

Yes they do take some getting used too

I spent ages in the early days getting used too mine.

I don’t have that problem anymore due to my Chronic Pain leaving me wheelchair bound.

@steve51

• Transverse
    Options
    I have had some physio, but due to lock down its stopped, i was paralyzed for 3weeks, both legs are numb and hardly any feeling in right leg, left leg is the big problem, also my left hand, no grip. I have had a bit of feeling come back in small areas of my body, but now im feeling lethargic and aching in all joints. I dont know if its a start of sensations coming back..  
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Most of my sensations haven't come back, but this can be different for each person. My physio stopped too, but I was sent various exercises to do at home. I remember experiencing an awful lot of pain when I first started physiotherapy, but I think that was down to getting everything to work again. 

Fatigue is very common with TM, don't push yourself too much, I know it's frustrating, even depressing. Your body needs time to recover. If you feel frustrated, please do reach out as I know how lonely it can be when you think you're on your own with this.
  • Transverse
    Options
    Thank you very much, how long have you had TM
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it in late February 2018, but due to being critically ill with double pneumonia I didn't find out until May the real reason why I lost all my mobility. I had never heard of TM before that. My latest MRI showed that it is improved significantly, just left wear and tear. Aside from limited mobility, it's the altered sensations that I struggle with.

My hands feel like they constantly have rubber gloves on and the texture inside the gloves, it feels like that sensation in my fingers - very weird at first but I have gotten used to it over time. It is hard describing what the condition feels like and I still am stumped at how to explain it sometimes.
  • Transverse
    Options
    Has anyone heard of the Bowen therapy 
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @Transverse

Yes I did come across the “Bowen Therapy” a few years ago now when I was doing some research for myself.

@steve51
  • Transverse
    Options
    Im thinking of giving it ago, just hope it will help, im at the point where i will try anything, 
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @Transverse

Yes I may as well give it a try myself.

I will google it in the morning to see what’s what & I will let you know how things go!!!!

@steve51
  • Transverse
    Options
    Morning!! It would be good to hear from someone who has tried the Bowen Therapy, just to know their experience, whether it works ect.  
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @Transverse

Good Morning.

Please leave it with me as I am in the process of getting some info for us.

@steve51

• Transverse
    Options
    Brilliant, thank you, hear from you soon..
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @Transverse

No probs I will be doing some surfing ??‍♀️ ??‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️
    shortly.

Not a good idea ? when you have “Balance Problems” 

@steve51
  • Transverse
    Options
    Hahaha, i couldnt surf even when i had balance..
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @Transverse

Yes I used to look like I had been on a “Beer” when I first came out off “Hospital”

That’s why they used to call me a “Cheap  Night Out”

@steve51

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.