Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Worried as I haven't had an assessment yet for Contribution Based ESA which runs out in November.

Hi All

I just wondered if anyone can offer any advice on my situation.

I applied for New Style (Contribution Based) ESA in January, and was awarded this backdated to November 2019. I am currently on the 'Assessment Rate'. I completed the ESA50 form and returned it before the date required (19th March). As it is the Contribution Based ESA then this will end on 3rd November 2020 unless I am put into the Support Group. As yet I haven't heard anything back from DWP about an assessment and am worried that it will just stop if I haven't had an assessment before then. 

Should I try to contact DWP or has anyone got any better advice please?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 976 Pioneering
    The best advice at this stage would be to phone them, try and do so when they open and are less busy otherwise atm it can take upto an hour to get through.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,121 Scope community team
    Hello @pault34. You're correct that if you haven't had an assessment by the time it runs out in November your claim will stop, but there is a fair amount of time before then so try not to worry too much.
    It could be worth you giving the assessment company a call and double checking your form was received and asking if they're able to give you a rough ETA on assessment times. These are all being completed by phone or on paper at the moment. 
    I hope you hear something soon.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • pault34pault34 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi @Adrian_Scope. Thanks for the response. I managed to build up the courage to call the assessment people and they confirmed that they have received my form but couldn't give any indication of timescale for any form of assessment, just 'things are opening up a bit now so hopefully you'll hear something soon'. Not the most helpful response for me due to my mental health and anxiety issues. Don't know if it's worth trying to ring DWP as just speaking to people on the phone is so distressing for me at the moment.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 1,619 Pioneering
    Hi there is no point ringing DWP as it is the assessment company that do the assessments and is them you are waiting for, and as you have already conacted them there isnt really a lot you can do.

I know you are worried your money will stop but it is over 3 months away so I would leave it a bit before chasing up with DWP, Thats only my advice
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,121 Scope community team
    Hi @pault34. As @janer1967 mentioned, the DWP won't be able to give you a timescale or speed up the process unfortunately.

It's great that they've confirmed having your form and hopefully it won't be too much longer until they get to your assessment. Please keep us posted.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.