PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

DLA - aids and adaptions question

debbieletts1980debbieletts1980 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 1 in PIP, DLA and AA
hi there im new here and filling in this dla form for my 4 yr old so , in on the question about - Does the child use, or have they been assessed for, any aids or adaptions? im going for the high rate but i dont know what to write here, any help would be most appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 6,693 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debbieletts1980

Good Morning & Welcome 😃😃

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got a senior member who will be able to help you with your DLA.

Hi @Adrian_Scope
    Can you please offer me some help with this post?????

Many Thanks.

@steve51
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 4,454 Disability Gamechanger
    You’re going for higher rate care for a 4 year old? So, they have night time needs i.e. needs which occur after the household shuts down for the night and which are substantially in excess of the norm for a child of that age? Can’t really comment on the appropriateness of that without knowing a little more about the child.

Not clear why there would be confusion on the question either. It’s a yes or no answer. If your child uses any kind of aids then unless you bought them privately they will have been assessed? Or not! Am I missing something? 

The only thing to be aware of is that aids for DLA are treated the exact opposite of how they’re treated for PIP. For DLA they show that personal care is not needed in connection with any bodily function where an aid is the simpler way to meet the need.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 976 Pioneering
    Hi @debbieletts1980 how are you this evening, totally agree with @mikehughescq dla for a four year isn't easy but you "don't go for" a rate you apply and see what is awarded or not, as with all the questions you answer them as fully and honestly as possible.
    Good luck
  • katho31katho31 Member Posts: 484 Pioneering
    edited July 1
    [Removed by moderator - we do not allow personal attacks on the community. Please familiarise yourself with our community guidelines.]
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,121 Scope community team
    Hello @debbieletts1980 and a warm welcome to the community.

As mentioned above, for high rate care component of DLA you would need to be able to evidence that they have substantial care needs day and night that are above the expected for a child of their age. 

With regards to the question you've asked, does your child use any specific aids? 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 4,454 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    Hi @debbieletts1980 how are you this evening, totally agree with @mikehughescq dla for a four year isn't easy but you "don't go for" a rate you apply and see what is awarded or not, as with all the questions you answer them as fully and honestly as possible.
    Good luck
    Think we may have inadvertently misunderstood each other here @woodbine. I’m actually a big advocate of knowing exactly what rate you’re going for. 

Many WRAs are understandably reluctant to commit as it carries obvious risks of over promising and under delivering. I’m more of the view that the decision on whether to challenge an outcome has to be informed by what you were expecting in the first place. If no-one can tell you what your entitlement ought to be then that begs a fair few questions. Obviously not good to predict an outcome on a forum with incomplete info. though. 

My point was more that DLA for a 4 year old is hard work for even the most profoundly disabled child. When the OP says they were going for HR I was just making sure they understood what would trigger high rate as well as, hopefully, a sweating the question re: aids. 
Sign in or join us to comment.