PIP phone assessment advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP phone assessment advice

Adora858
Adora858 Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
Hi everyone, I'm really new here so I hope this is the right place to ask.

I've got my PIP phone assessment this week. It's my first one, I've never claimed before, and honestly I'm so scared about it that I feel physically sick (I've felt like this the past couple days, but as the assessment gets nearer it's been getting even worse). Does anyone have any advice?

For example, when answering the questions, is there anything particularly useful to remember to say - e.g is it more helpful to give a general overview, or to use specific examples? Examples of when it's really bad? And, will they care much about how things make me feel (e.g being unable to do anything for myself makes me feel incredibly depressed and suicidal on a daily basis), or will me talking about how bad I feel come across badly? If they ask something like 'Can you eat and drink unaided?' is it reasonable for me to say 'I can't eat/drink unaided at all', because that is the reality of it (if my husband isn't there to prompt me, I can't eat - when he is away I can't eat anything), even though if you held me at gunpoint and forced me to do it I could technically do it?

Are there any specific do's or don'ts for a telephone assessment? I'm incredibly grateful to be able to do a telephone assessment, rather than see someone in person, but I'm scared that I won't come across very well over the phone, and I'm quite scared that I might cry. I know there's always appealing a decision, and I shouldn't be so scared about making a mistake, but our finances are really not great due to me being unable to work and my husband having to work part time to look after me - I feel like if I mess this up then it'll be really bad.

As a final point - how long on average is it likely to take after my assessment for me to receive a decision? I've heard quite a few different things on the internet.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Comments

• donz72
    donz72 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Hi @Adora858 just tell them what you can’t do. If you can’t eat or drink unaided tell them. 
    My partner had his telephone assessment 2 weeks ago. They asked him things like washing and dressing. How far he could walk etc. 
    He had his results back a week later he was turned down. He has Parkinson’s disease. So our next step is mandatory reconsideration. I’m wishing you the best of luck hopefully you get your award ?
  • Adora858
    Hi @donz72. Thanks for your advice and kind words. Sorry to hear your partner didn't get a good decision first time round, wishing you guys all the best with the MR.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Adora858 and a warm welcome to the community!

I wish you the best of luck with is! Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Welcome @Adora858 :) best wishes from us all  :)
  • shazzy93
    shazzy93 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Hi @Adora858,

I have mine on the 7th July and completely understand how you are feeling. I just want it all done and dusted and for there to be the positive outcome I need it to be. 

Fingers crossed yours is too. 

All my love. 
    Shaz. Xx

• Adora858
    Thanks for the support everyone :) . I'm still pretty terrified, and trying not to get my hopes up, but at least it'll be over soon.

@shazzy93 - Mine's on the 3rd, so hopefully it'll go really well and I'll be able to tell you not to worry for yours - wishing you the best of luck in any case.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Adora858 Welcome to the community, just tell it how it is and give specific real life examples don't just say I cant eat unaided say you can only eat if prompted, that if your husband is away you don't eat eg you don't eat for days if he isn't there. The more real examples you can give the better.

You may only score points for needing prompting in this section as it isnt that you cant actually eat due to your disability (eg feeding tube) or similar

Yes it is ok to say how it makes you feel and dont worry if you get upsety they are used to it and if you want to take a break just ask

Good luck hope it goes well, as for timescales all depends on how busy they are, but after approx 7 days you can ring and request a copy of your report and this will give indication of points scored it isnt a final decision but gives you assessors recommendaed points
  • Adora858
    @janer1967 - thanks very much for your advice, I really appreciate it. Yes, I'm hoping to get the points for prompting in the eating/drinking section (4 points, I think?), my overall hope is to get enhanced daily living and standard mobility, but I guess I'll just have to see.
    I'll be sure to use real examples as you advise, and hopefully they won't mind if this makes me get a bit emotional. 

I'll ask for the report when I can too, thank you. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Your welcome fingers crossed and keep us updated on the outcome 
  • shazzy93
    Adora858 said:
    Thanks for the support everyone :) . I'm still pretty terrified, and trying not to get my hopes up, but at least it'll be over soon.

@shazzy93 - Mine's on the 3rd, so hopefully it'll go really well and I'll be able to tell you not to worry for yours - wishing you the best of luck in any case.
    Thank you - ???? For both of us ???
  • Adora858
    @Username_removed - thank you very much for all of this! 
  • Adora858
    Thanks everyone for your support. I've just had my telephone assessment - lasted 1 hour 3 minutes. I struggled a bit in the first half, as I was so nervous I was shaking and struggling a bit to talk (and my assessor brought up some stuff that I wasn't expecting, which made me cry a few times), but I don't think it went too badly. The assessor was kind, and gave me plenty of room to talk - she asked about each area from the form. 

I'm hoping to ring up for the report to be sent to me in a week or so, but I was wondering if I would be able to get my husband to ring on my behalf? I am so scared of talking to people myself. 
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    Hi yes you can they will just ask for you to allow permission .. I have been calling for my mum xx 
  • Adora858
    Great, thanks :) 
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @Adora858 , it might be worth getting the forms for your husband to be your Appointee, then he can definitely speak on your behalf. I did this for my son.I can ring up and get updates, if you go to appeal they will want to speak to you as they did with my son but your husband can speak for you at the end incase you have forgot something. Hope this helps , good luck x
  • shazzy93
    edited July 2020
    @Adora858
    Fingers, toes, legs, arms & eyes all firmly crossed for you. ♥️
    Mine is Tuesday 7th (my late moms birthday - hoping that’s a good omen ????) at 3:15pm. 

Hope you don’t have to wait too long. Xxx
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @shazzy93 ah, am sure your mum will be looking Down at you and willing you to win ?? Xx
  • shazzy93
    Oh @Lulu_1949 I really do hope so ??????

Thank you for your reply ???
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi @shazzy93, wishing you all the best and your late mum will be looking down on you  :) x
  • Adora858
    Thanks for your kind words, and good luck for Tuesday @shazzy93 - hope it goes really well for you :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.