Mandatory Reconsderation No Change — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory Reconsderation No Change

Harleyqueen
Harleyqueen Community member Posts: 30 Connected
My partner was on DLA   For many years with an award for high Mobility which was used for a  Mobility car  (partner does not drive ) No Care Award 

Transferred to PIP and was awarded Standard Care and Standard Mobility 
I did the MR hoping to get the award changed to Enhanced so the car could be kept,
I focused on the Moving Around and Mobility questions where I thought points would be gained, I gave examples and explained the problems my partner has during and after the activities and the effects on my partners health.
I thought I had made a good case but apparently not as the result was no change. 

i called the DWP as none of the points I made in the MR were mentioned in the Decision Statement and said I think we supplied enough information for a higher Mobility award only to be told
There is now a Care Award  that was not in the DLA award use that to buy a car
I was quite surprised at that statement.

So now It's on to an Appeal and the thought of an Appeal is stressing me out,
I have tried to read up on the appeal process but find it daunting and hard to understand 
It says once the appeal is lodged we will receive the DWP evidence  what is that likely to be ?
Is it their justification of the award they made ?
I feel we need representation for an Appeal are Citizens Advice able to offer this does any one know ?also is it better to do the Appeal request on line or paper.
Any advice or guidance appreciated 

regards HarleyQueen

Comments

• Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @Harleyqueen, I was worried stupid about my sons appeal because he has trouble walking and I thought but they can’t see him because it was a telephone appeal but they did ask loads of questions, he got standard so you need to really press on the difficulties because I felt that is where we dipped out and he just got standard, 10 points so 2 short. Was hoping he could get a mobility car. Will have to wait till 2022 Cos I daren’t argue it incase he loses it. 
  • Harleyqueen
    Hi Lulu 1949 
    Sorry to hear your son did not get the Enhanced Award
    May I ask did you do the Appeal yourself or did you get help ?
    Also may I ask what the original  Mobility award was ? 

Regards 

HarleyQueen 
  • lulu1949
    lulu1949 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Hi @Harleyqueen, hi luvvy,  I acted as his Appointee so I had to fill forms in so that they would accept me as a, Appointee to talk on his behalf. It was the first time he applied, we went to the assessment and was turned down both both daily living and mobility, turned down at mandatory decision so went to appeal . I did all the paperwork and then the appeal was last week. They spoke mostly to my son. I asked at the beginning whether I should do the talking they said they would rather speak to him and it didn’t matter if he struggled and they would speak to me at the end. As I said before I thought the fact that he had 27 operations on his foot that the medical records would help but it’s like all the advise you will get on here., it’s what you can’t do that’s important and why. That I think was a problem because they could not see him trying to walk but they did give him 10 points so he did well. I then spoke at the end. X
  • Harleyqueen
    @lulu1949
    I really did focus on how the two activities affected my partner but feel they were ignored.
    I know DLA and PIP have totally different criteria and thought i had explained  my partners difficulties but the DWP chose to disregard what we had written 

I will try and get representation 

HarleyQueen
  • lulu1949
    lulu1949 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    @Harleyqueen, same here but the appeal did listen, I really hope you do well and get what you feel is fair x
  • Harleyqueen
    @Harleyqueen have a look at https://advicelocal.uk/ for representation. 

To answer your earlier question the appeal bundle includes all the forms and decisions on claim so far so nothing you won’t have seen. The only new thing will be a submission from DWP but that’s largely template based. It makes out their case but,
    like the HCP report, it shouldn’t be the starting point for you. 
    @m@Username_removed

I followed your advice and link and have have found a Welfare Rights Worker who can help with the appeal
    I have been advised to ask the GP for a supporting letter
    Would written statements from family members who provide care be accepted 
    kind regards

Harleyqueen
  • Harleyqueen
    @Username_removed

Thank you, I will gather as much evidence as I can

kind regards

Harleyqueen

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.