Travelling abroad — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Travelling abroad

plasfron
plasfron Community member Posts: 17 Connected
I am aware that when in receipt of PIP one can only travel abroad for a maximum of 13 weeks.
I'm assuming that this is in any one year and could be repeated in subsequent years. Am I correct?

If I am correct, would it then be allowable to spend the last 13 weeks of 2020 abroad and continue with the first 13 weeks of 2021 before returning to the UK?

Comments

• plasfron
    On reflection, this idea, even if allowed, would prevent another overseas visit until 2022. However, would still like confirmation on this and whether the 13 week period is an annual allowance.
    Thank you.
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    im not too sure, someone will post with advice soon  :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I am not too sure about this but I would think it wold count as one continuous period as you would not actually be returning home so would class as a 26 week break. 

In order for them to be classed as seperate periods you would have to return home. I don't know if it a yearly allowance 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    As @janer1967 says without returning home it would be one period of 26 weeks. The 13 weeks can be extended to 26 weeks if you are travelling for medical reasons, in either case you need to inform them if you are going abroad for more than 4 weeks.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• plasfron
    Thank you all for your advice.
    Can you confirm that the 13 weeks is an annual allowance?
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    yes, thats what we read online earlier? can someone confirm please?  :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    There is no clear guidance I can find about an "annual allowance" I suspect thats not how it works, could be that you are allowed 13 weeks in a calendar year, there used to be a linking period for some benefits, perhaps someone who knows more will see this.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I'm sorry but I cannot believe that anyone who has been isolating would even consider going abroad. Going through what is likely to be busy terminals, confined in a cramped space with recycled air and almost certain contact just trying to get to the toilet and then meeting many strangers. This increases the potential for catching a virus that has terrified the country into almost complete inaction. However, considering the numbers going to bars etc. and not even thinking of social distancing when sober I cannot say I am surprised that ignorance rules the world.

There still isn't, as I predicted, a cure for Covid and, despite rumours to the contrary, nor is there ever likely to be. Covid is similar to SARS and despite that occurring in the 1970's there never has been a cure.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.