Telephone tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Telephone tribunal

laumacc
laumacc Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
Hi,
I am due to have a pip appeal through the court soon via telephone, and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or websites that could help me with that. I’m very anxious about it, and I know the next couple of weeks will be awful for my mental health with the wait. I have chronic pancreatitis along with mental health problems. This is my first time posting and also the first time I have taken my claim to court, after being turned down twice through MR. Thankyou

Comments

• Wisec
    Wisec Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    The court are really good and will put you at ease. The worst part is waiting, just be honest they don't try to confuse you at all. I have said that the courts should be frontline for this sort of thing would save the waiting and messing about. They are really nice don't worry you been through the worst.
  • laumacc
    Thankyou so much for your reply, I do have an advocate from the mental health team I’m hoping can somehow be involved in the process on the day, but as it is just telephone, I’m unsure how. I have emailed him anyway and I’ll see what he says 
  • Wisec
    You just have him with you when they phone, put on hands free and talk to them.
  • Wisec
    I suffer from fybro so rarely sleep properly Appologise for late reply
  • clarzier
    clarzier Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    I had mine last week and found out I was successful yesterday. I would say try and answer any of their questions. A few times they wanted answers to my conditions that my evidence didn't show and I was able to do so. Good luck x
  • laumacc
    Thankyou, I was hoping they would ask, as my condition on paper, compared to the reality is quite different and very debilitating x 
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi, @laumacc, make sure you concentrate on how your condition affects you, any aids you have to use, handles on shower/bath next to toilet, grabber to pick up things, perching stool, handles near front/back door. also what effects does going into a crowd/supermarket/enclosed space have on your anxiety, how do you feel, sweaty/anxious etc. sorry if the first part of my sentence isnt relevant to yourself, best wishes :)
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @laumacc, don’t worry luvvy, it’s not as bad as you think. My son had is 10days ago, we were really worried but it went well, he was refused at MR but got standard for both, you will get a call from the clerk to the court first to explain who will be on the call etc. It lasted an hour and we had the decision in the post the next morning so very quick. Good luck ,Katho’s advice is good. Xx
  • Wisec
    Take pictures of the aids you use and email them. It helps make things easier.
  • Lulu_1949
    good good point @Wisec, we did that! 

• Wisec
    I can say quite honestly I wish they left the rest of the rubbish out and just jumped to the court proceedings, it's the only time I was taken seriously.
  • Lulu_1949
    @Wisec have to agree with you again ?
  • laumacc
    I don’t really have any aides, as when I have a flare up of the pancreas, which is bad at the best of times, I’m literally in bed and cannot move for days, then not eat for at least 24 hours as my consultant said it can’t process the food even with medication. So this is what I’m hoping I can explain to them better. They’ve given me a 3 hour time slot for when they’ll call, and I don’t think my advocate will sit here for 3 hours? Hoping he replies tomorrow for some sort of confirmation 
  • laumacc
    Hi all, thanks for everyone’s reassurance. I received enhanced for both Until 2026. A horrible experience, but I guess it’s worth while. Nobody should have to go through this though. Thanks again to scope. 
  • katho31
    hi @laumacc, so happy for you  :) yes it can be and youve done it now, relax and treat yourself, you deserve it  :)
  • laumacc
    Thankyou very much. It is a relief as it’s my first new claim :) 
  • katho31
    yes @laumacc mine was a first time claim too, the relief is huge and so pleased for you  :) you will sleep well tonight 
  • laumacc
    Thanks @katho31 and I’m glad to hear your good news too. Ridiculous system but hey ho! x
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Im so happy to hear this Im sorry you had to go threw all that but glad it worked out if you dont get the answer you want for pip do you have to do the MR or can you just go straight to a tribunal ? I have my telephone assessment on monday if Im dennied I was wondering if I could just go straight to a tribunal does it take ages that process of appealing 
  • laumacc
    Thankyou so much. You have to do the MR, then apply for tribunal if that’s declined, mines taken 17 months, but it is worth it, just seems so stressful. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.