Moving House / Housing Benefit / Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving House / Housing Benefit / Universal Credit

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello,

I am a single male and currently privately rent a 2 bedroom flat. I’m 34 which allows up to a shared room housing benefit rate however I have the Severe Disability Premium which allows me to have the 1 bedroom rate which I’ll be automatically entitled to in 2 months when I’m 35 anyway.

I would like to move to a 3 bedroom house, privately rented. I receive PIP enhanced rate, ESA Support group, Severe Disability Premium and Housing Benefit.

I am still not on the Universal Credit and from what I think I’ve read I won’t be moved over just yet?

So my questions are

1. Will the council raise their eyebrows at me renting a 3 bedroom house?

2. If I do move will I be moved onto Universal Credit? I’m receiving the Severe Disability Premium so not sure how this effect me.

Sorry if this doesn’t make sense but if you can try and read between the lines and any advise would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• tcellmutation
    edited July 2020
    Moving will not get you onto UC provided you’re 100% certain your ESA currently includes the SDP. A 3 bed house is going to be an issue for LHA.
    Thanks for the reply.

Yup, 100% sure my ESA includes the SDP.

I was hoping the council would just say “rent what you want but we will still only pay Housing Benefit to cover the 1 bedroom rent as the flat you are in now”? 

Privately rented accommodation.

Thanks
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @tcellmutation. That’s correct, you can rent any size property you like but they’ll only pay the LHA you’re entitled to, so for you that’s a 1 bedroom rate (unless you require a second bedroom for an occasional overnight carer). 

So you can rent a 5 bedroom house but they’ll only contribute your 1 bed allowance and you’ll have to make up any shortfall in the rent. 

If you are moving within the same council authority you would just update your details. If it’s to a new council authority you’ll need to make a new application for housing benefit with that council (which you can do as you receive SDP). 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • tcellmutation
    edited July 2020
    Hi @tcellmutation. That’s correct, you can rent any size property you like but they’ll only pay the LHA you’re entitled to, so for you that’s a 1 bedroom rate (unless you require a second bedroom for an occasional overnight carer). 

So you can rent a 5 bedroom house but they’ll only contribute your 1 bed allowance and you’ll have to make up any shortfall in the rent. 

If you are moving within the same council authority you would just update your details. If it’s to a new council authority you’ll need to make a new application for housing benefit with that council (which you can do as you receive SDP). 
    Thanks for that info Adrian, that’s a massive help! It’ll be in the same council authority so that will save a lot of hassle.
     :) 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tcellmutation

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

It’s great to see that you have already meet some of the other members.

I do hope that you have been given the info that you was looking ???????

If you still require any further help/advice please please let me know!!!!!!

@steve51

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi @tcellmutation :) welcome, hope you are okay  :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community good to have you join us.

Good ,luck in finding a new home and I look forward to seeing you around
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    Hello,

I am a single male and currently privately rent a 2 bedroom flat. I’m 34 which allows up to a shared room housing benefit rate however I have the Severe Disability Premium which allows me to have the 1 bedroom rate which I’ll be automatically entitled to in 2 months when I’m 35 anyway.

I would like to move to a 3 bedroom house, privately rented. I receive PIP enhanced rate, ESA Support group, Severe Disability Premium and Housing Benefit.

I am still not on the Universal Credit and from what I think I’ve read I won’t be moved over just yet?

So my questions are

1. Will the council raise their eyebrows at me renting a 3 bedroom house?

2. If I do move will I be moved onto Universal Credit? I’m receiving the Severe Disability Premium so not sure how this effect me.

Sorry if this doesn’t make sense but if you can try and read between the lines and any advise would be great.

Thanks!

Hi, I am in a similar position as soon as you move you will be made to go on too UC. As far as i am aware you get £20 more then 10 months later they take away your severe disability premium. You can reant any home yoou like. I hope this helps. I'M struggling to get my head round this as i am homeless.
  • tcellmutation
    @Adrian_Scope is the above poster correct?
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,622 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, no that’s not correct, I’m on ESA and moved house 3 weeks ago within the same council, phoned DWP and only had to do a change of address no change of benefit hope this helps.
  • Parrot123
    Thanks so much
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,622 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh no problem , I was so worried about it to, but I’ve received a letter from them telling me no change to my benefit.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @tcellmutation.

No, I'm afraid the information isn't correct.

As you have SDP you are unable to claim Universal Credit, owing to the SDP Gateway which was put into place in January last year. This is only set to be in place until January 2021 so if you move after this date the advice would be different.

Typically, if you moved out of your local council authority you would need to make a new claim for housing benefit which is when most people would be prompted to claim Universal Credit (as new claims for housing benefit are not allowed except for very specific circumstances - such as being in receipt of SDP). As you're in receipt of SDP you cannot claim Universal Credit and whether you moved to a different council or not, you would be allowed to claim housing benefit and not switch to UC.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Parrot123
    Brilliant thank u very very much Will
  • tcellmutation
    edited July 2020
    Hello @tcellmutation.

No, I'm afraid the information isn't correct.

As you have SDP you are unable to claim Universal Credit, owing to the SDP Gateway which was put into place in January last year. This is only set to be in place until January 2021 so if you move after this date the advice would be different.

Typically, if you moved out of your local council authority you would need to make a new claim for housing benefit which is when most people would be prompted to claim Universal Credit (as new claims for housing benefit are not allowed except for very specific circumstances - such as being in receipt of SDP). As you're in receipt of SDP you cannot claim Universal Credit and whether you moved to a different council or not, you would be allowed to claim housing benefit and not switch to UC.
    Exactly what I wanted to hear. That’s great news. Thanks! I’d better get moving this year then!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    What happens after January 2021 or is that still to be confirmed?  I really hope to be moved by then but with the current situation I might have to make a 'temporary' move, then move again next year to somewhere more permanent.

• Adrian_Scope
    There are still campaigns surrounding it @OverlyAnxious but at the moment I believe it's just set to be a case of losing SDP and having to move to UC if you're moving out of your council area. If it's within the same council authority that you currently claim housing benefit from, you can just update the details. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • OverlyAnxious
    There are still campaigns surrounding it @OverlyAnxious but at the moment I believe it's just set to be a case of losing SDP and having to move to UC if you're moving out of your council area. If it's within the same council authority that you currently claim housing benefit from, you can just update the details. 
    Ok, thanks Adrian!  I live right near the border so could easily end up in one of 3 different councils just moving within a 5 mile radius.  :#

If I did move into into another council area, what happens with the PIP/LHA/SDP backpay I have?  Do I just leave it out of the savings figures, or do I include it, but add a note to clarify that it's back pay and disregarded until May?  It's been a while since I applied for HB here but I'm sure I had to declare savings for it.
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited July 2020
    Hello @OverlyAnxious. I believe you would still need to inform them of the savings you have, however as you are in receipt of income-related ESA you'll continue to be entitled to Housing Benefit as a passported benefit. So while you're in receipt of income-related ESA, you'll remain entitled to Housing Benefit.
    Have a look here: www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Passported-benefits

Edited to add: However if you don't move until after the SDP gateway finishes and you move to a new area where you have to make a new claim for HB, you'd end up having to claim UC. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • OverlyAnxious
    Brilliant, thanks @Adrian_Scope .  Lets hope I can find somewhere soon!  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.