Pip mobility questio — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip mobility questio

mtag
mtag Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi all 

hope everyone is safe and well .

in the mobility assessment question 2e it says

Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but 12 no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided

Does it mean if you can walk unaided no more than 20 meters but are able to using crutches you still qualify for that question or not ?
I have difficulty waking the movement isn’t all that good and every step is painful , uneven surfaces are a nightmare as if I step on it a certain way the leg buckled underneath me . I can’t walk more than 20 meters without stopping unaided but if I use crutches it’s still painful but can get up to 50meters .

Thanks in advance for advice 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Hi @mtag

Welcome to the community, hope you're doing well! :) 

I certainly think the wording of the questions can be confusing and I wouldn't like to offer my interpretation in case I'm incorrect, but I'm sure that a community member with a greater understanding of this benefit will answer your query shortly.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mtag - & welcome to the community. The question relates to how far you can walk, in your case with or without your crutches. The following are some quotes from the Benefits & Works guide to PIP, which I hope will explain better the concept of 'Reliably':
    'Reliably’ - the most important PIP word, you should not be considered able to do something if, for example, you aren’t safe doing it or it causes you pain or discomfort or it exhausts you or you’re very slow at doing it.'
    'According to DWP guidance:
    ‘When assessing whether the activity can be carried out reliably, consideration should be given to the manner in which they do so. This includes but is not limited to, their gait, their speed, the risk of falls and symptoms or side effects that could affect their ability to complete the activity, such as pain, breathlessness and fatigue.'
    In the Extra information box,
    'You will need to explain how far you can walk and at what distance you experience such issues as pain, severe discomfort, fatigue or breathlessness. You will also need to give details of any aids or appliances you use and how they help.
    According to DWP guidance and law: ‘This activity should be judged in relation to a type of surface normally expected out of doors such as pavements and roads on the flat and includes the consideration of kerbs.’ So if you have difficulty with uneven surfaces and kerbs, give details on your form.'

You don't have to tick a box, just explain your problems in the Extra information space.
    There you should note that you can walk 'No more than x metres,' whichever you feel most appropriate, taking into account your pain, etc. I hope this helps. :)

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,627 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning and welcome, I was awarded standard mobility in April it sd I could walk 20 meters but no more than 50 with my stick, I put in an MR and got letter on Saturday was changed to Enhanced mobility, it sd I was watched and could walk up to 32 meters with an aid but had to stop at 15 meters, so I’m confused why I wasn’t awarded it at the start ?‍♀️Hope this helps.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mtag

Welcome too our online community/family.

I am one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Here’s some info for you below on “pip”

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with???

@steve51

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mtag

Good Morning and Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope .

I have posted a link below for “PIP”

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, I hope the answers given have clarified the question for you, they do make them very hard to understand.

Good luck in your claim and I look forward to seeing you around on here

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.