Housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing

sarahmoo
sarahmoo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi my names Sarah 
I am a carer and looking to speak with other carers or people with mobility issues especially with housing as I'm looking to move with my mum to a better home but abit lost 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarahmoo

Welcome to our online community/family ☔️

I am one of a number of online “community champions” here at Scope.

Yes I have got major problems with my mobility.

Here’s some info below for you on housing.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/housing-home-adaptations/

Please let me know if there’s anything else  that I can help you with??????

@steve51

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarahmoo Welcome to the community.

I suggest first of all you do a referral for a care needs assessment you can do this through the gov website  A Occupational therapist will come and do an assessment and make recommendations on adaptions or aids required.

If this warrants a more suitable property they will send the report to your local council which will possibly give you a higher banding for bidding on more suitable properties.7
    Presuming you are talking about social housing that is

If you are looking for private rent or buying then it is just a matter of finding a more suitable place

Hope this helps and I apologise if I am not on the right track here
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Are they doing care needs assessment at present. I thought this was one of the things that has stopped or is it down to individual councils to make a decision as to whether they are carried out!
  • janer1967
    I would imagine they have been on hold but if you make the referral will join the waiting list at least 

That is if it allows you to refer at present 
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @sarahmoo
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarahmoo - & welcome to the community from me too. I hope the advice above proves helpful. Do you have any specific questions, as then we might be able to help a little further? :)
  • sarahmoo
    Good morning All

Thank you all for your responses and welcoming me! It's very much appreciated.
    My mum had to have a desktop assessment back in March due to the lockdown.  The council were very helpful and got my mum's assessment over to our housing association in ok timing considering what has been going on. It's been a battle with my mums housing association to get the bidding number & they haven't been the greatest support or help! So I do feel very lost.

We have been looking at properties but as of yet their is nothing suitable for my mum.

I do have a questions;
    If my mum was to be nominated to another borough via her housing association would the waiting time be longer or shorter?( I know this may sound stupid ) would we still be able to bid for a property within our borough if we were nominated to another borough?

I'm only asking as when trying to request this information via the borough we live in no one knows the answer 

Happy Friday all
    Kind Regards 
    Sarah 
  • janer1967
    Hi Sarah 
    Not too sure on this but wait time will depend on the areas waiting list and availability of properties. Also your mum may end up lower down list if there is no local connection evident 

I was registered in 2 different towns and could bid on both but not sure this is always allowed 
  • sarahmoo
    Janer1967

Thanks for your response.
    I did think we could end up lower on the lists as we dont have any connections just want my mum to have a better quality of living 
  • janer1967
    Anything is worth a try 

Hope you find something from my experience finding suitable housing was a turning point in my life and truly worth the fight 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.