Still on DLA but turn 65 in a couple of months — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Still on DLA but turn 65 in a couple of months

Gordinio
Gordinio Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I get higher mobility DLA (it was a lifetime award), so have always used it with Motability. I haven't been for a f2f assessment for years although I've been in hospital quite a bit though. I am 65 in a couple of months but don't get pension till I'm 66. I'm worried about the dwp taking away my car and money leaving me high and dry if they're doing this changeover to PIP. Will I be taken for an assessment to change to PIP  at my age do you think? I'm so tired of worrying ?

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Hi, I am now 67 and was on full DLA for19 years. Last year I was changed over to PIP.
    I had a home assessment and was awarded full PIP a few weeks later.

Have you not been invited to apply for PIP? That is the usual way things happen.
    They are currently doing PIP assessments over the phone.

If it is worrying you, phone DWP and check it out.

DLA has a different criteria to PIP. There is a self assessment you can do to see how you feel you will score But this is only a self assessment.

Care and mobility are scored separately and it is impossible to tell if your score will entitle you to full mobility to keep your car.
    I know how scary it is and I worried myself silly .

Hope this helps

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome @Gordinio, I am not too sure about your query all I know is that you have to already be in receipt of PIP mobility before retirement age . You cannot get this element if you didnt already have it before you retire, if this makes sense.

The fact that you get mobility through DLA and not PIP I am not too sure. Eventually the plan is to have everyone move over to PIP  but Im not sure how long this will take

I am sure others will be able to answer your query
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for correcting my mistake @Username_removed I must have read the so called myth and lots of others who have said the same on here too 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gordinio and welcome to the community. How are you doing? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.