My last job — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My last job

Options
Awesomelorenzo
Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
At my last job, the owner really didn't understand much at all.
I had two panic attacks there and she did not get it at all. The first time, I wasn't well(Cold, couldn't talk) And I had to be there all day(7-6)
I told my manager that I wasn't well and she dismissed me. By this point I was feeling really **** and I asked if she could get agency in so I could go home. She dismissed me again, which resulted in a humiliating panic attack.
So she agreed to phone the owner to see if she could get an agency and all that. I went home.

Next day, I was fine. I was only in for a bit anyway and the owner took me aside and started interogatting me about what happened. I told her it was a panic attack and she bascially asked, "What is that?" So I explained it to her and she just stared at me like I was making it up. (Maybe Indians don't have panic attacks, I don't know)
She then went on to tell me that I need medicine for it(It had happened once in like 4 months.) And to fill in an illness form. She never gave me this form.  Also she kept going, "Did anyone see you?" She said this about 5 times. And I said No. Even if a parent had seen me crying, they would've probably cared more than her. She told the other person who I was with, who actually understood it more than the owner did.

Fast forward a few months, we were closing down and I was really stressed. I had a panic attack and my really nice manager told me to go to the doctors to check I was okay. The doctor knew me and basically said I was okay. I went back to the nursery and my manager told me that the owner said I should take my medicine. Like I said, I'm not medicated.

I told her I didn't have any and there was a massive discussion in the kitchen about me. In short I stayed there all day and we had a laugh about it at the end. The owner seriously din't get how much stress we were all under.

Comments

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there are you still at your job ? I suffer with anxiety and other mental illnesses so I know panic attacks really well . I’m glad that you had some understanding work colleagues. How do you get on now at work ? My last employer was far from
    understanding so I know how that feels . 
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Options
    No I'm not there anymore. I don't have a job at the moment, but I hope they're nicer.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo
    I was going to bed one night, actually sitting on my bed totally unstressed when suddenly my heart raced and pounded in my head! I couldn’t see briefly and couldn’t breathe so I rushed downstairs p, row open the windows and door and gulped down air as fast as I could. By and by it passed but I thought I’d had a heart attack. It was seriously scary. We called an ambulance and they took my vitals and told me that it sounded as though I’d had a panic attack. I was exhausted and was worried about going to bed incase it happened again or I died in my sleep or something but they assured me it would be ok.

does it sound to you as though I had a panic attack? I’ve never had another and I know that that one was caused by a mixture of meds I was just put on at the time. I’ve asked quite a few professionals and they always seem to give me a slightly odd look but agree it was probably a panic attack...maybe.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    I mean I hope you do find some where understanding I have had bad luck but doesn’t mean that every place isn’t nice . I feel your pain and I hope your next job is much better . 
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Options
    Leecal
    I couldn't say. Every one is different.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.