Parents and carers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

A bit of advice needed

NashvilleNashville Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 6 in Parents and carers
This is a strange one and your advice sought as to how to go about sorting it out.  I am not sure if I am in the correct category even.  My friend had a stroke in February and then Covid 19.  He is not yet retirement age but is now severely restricted by his stroke and very vague either from his stroke or covid 19.

He  is in an extra care facility owned by the council but the on-site care contract is with a private company.  He has been assessed for a care package by social services which has come up with 22 hours a week.  He is responsible for his own costs and the care company supplying the care wants the care package changed to 35 hours.  The 22 hours assessment was done after he left hospital and those fees were paid for a short time by the NHS/ social services but his new contract of care direct with him asks for 37 hours weekly at the increased hourly rate of £22 versus the NHS contracted rate of £14.20.

so, there is a bit of a disagreement going on.  What point is there to a social services assessment if it is not to be used?  My friend has not got worse.  I have suggested a compromise of 30 hours but that has been rejected.  I expected the NHS hourly contract rate to be lower than privately funded but am shocked to privately buy an hour’s care is 35% more expensive.

I think that if social services were paying he would be on 22 hours In perpetuity but because there is a chance of more money it is a try on. I have suggested a new social services assessment but pointed out that if his current 22 hours are inadequate and unsafe he shouldn’t be on that level and the assessment is wrong.  Social services don’t want to admit that of course.  Equally, at no point has the care company challenged the assessment as to it not reflecting my friends needs.  There seems to be a bit of a black hole where the care company just demands what it likes.  I am involved since I have applied for an LPA as my friend’s ability to speak clearly and retain information has gone and access to his bank and investments is needed.

In an ideal world I would have my friend log his care but he is not up to that and is happy with the care he is getting.  Ie 22 hours.  I have suggested the care company ask his carers  to log their care but have had no response. Privately, I have lobbied his carers regarding hours spent and doubling up etc and 22 hours is about right.  

I imagined that offering a compromise of 30 hours would be accepted.  A kind of win win but sadly the care company is not backing down.  Equally, I have no idea of the qualifications of the care company representative who has come up with 37 hours.

I am wondering if this whole area is a bit of a scam in that my friend’s costs are likely to be circa £60000 pa all in at 37 hours care but circa £54000 at 30 hours including his rent and food.   So his money will run out and he will be down to the £23k ish level of entitlement from whence his care costs will be paid.  Perhaps the feeling is that it is of no consequence who profits from the diminishment  of my friends funds as eventually he will reach benefits level.  A ‘sort of dig in quick’ mentality as it doesn’t really matter since the government will eventually pick up the tab.

any advice on the way forward happily received.   Equally is the above normal procedure?

many thanks in advance.



  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 2,161 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, glad you joined us. I am really not able to answer your question as this all sounds very complex.

    I would suggest you contact CAB or welfare rights or maybe there is a stroke charity that can help. I think you need some specialist advice.

    I hope there are some other members who may have more knowledge in this area
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 6,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer1967

    Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

    I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

    Yes I have had Stroke myself.

    Here’s some info for you on the “Stroke Association”

    Please please contact them as they have got lots of great info/advice available.

    If you have any further problems please come back to me.

  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 100 Courageous
    Hi @Nashville!

    I just wanted to check in to see whether you'd been able to get in touch with Citizens Advice or the Stroke Association, as suggested by some of our other members? 

    This sounds like a very tricky situation, but you are a really great friend for helping him out.

    Please let us know if you have any further questions :)


    Online Community Coordinator
Sign in or join us to comment.