What can I claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can I claim

Options
ardsjd
ardsjd Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi new here, my husband has been off work nearly a year, his work has been very good. Full pay for 6 month then down to half pay.  This runs out in August.  They have a company insurance that we have been trying to get for about six month which would of covered his salary to 75 per cent but they are taking so long to see if he is eligible for it.  Last year he was very ill and was in hospital for 6 weeks with pneumonia, MRSA, sepsis then they found spinal abscess to.  His recovery has been slow.  He saw a neurologist and was put on baclofen for spasticity. About 2 month ago he went down hill again and was in hospital for 12 day, they found he had a serve infection  in his hip replacement.  Now he need a 2 part op to clear this up.  My question is as his salary won’t be paid after August and we don’t get this insurance policy through his work, are there any benefits we can claim to help us.  We are in the process of claiming PIP, which we claim back in March. Still waiting. Any advice please.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

If your husband has paid the correct amount of NI Contributions in tax years April to March 2017/18 and April - March 2018/19 then he can claim New style ESA. He'll need a fit note from his GP and his SSP1 form to be able to claim this. He can start the claim now but payments won't start until he finishes work. It pays £74.35 per week. Details here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance This isn't means tested.

Depending on both of your circumstances you can look at claiming Universal Credit. If you have savings/capital of £16,000 and over you'll be excluded from claiming. As it's a means tested benefit you'll need to claim as a couple. He'll need a fit note from his GP to be able to start the limited capability for work process off. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.

A claim for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming. If he claims both of the above the New style ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

Council tax reduction can be claimed from you local council.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ardsjd Welcome to the community glad you have joined us here and I hope you found the information above helpful

I hope your husband gets well soon and the op is a success
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @ardsjd. How are you getting on? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.