Parents and carers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Help for adult son with LD and anxiety, depression and challenging behaviour

CressCress Member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi
New here I'll jump straight in if that's ok?
Is there any way of getting help and support re. the above, that doesn't involve having my son sent to some horrendous unit and left to rot?

Hope this is the right place for this...

Replies

• Wini1960Wini1960 Member Posts: 80 Courageous
    Cress Hi your sounding stressed. First, can I ask you what PD is? I have an adult daughter who tried to commit suicide last year it was by far the worst of my life as well as hers. I have suffered with depression for a long time and to witness my child in that state frightened me. If you know what your son needs then fight for it with support from family or friends. My daughter is fortunate she has a close family that love and support her and good friends. Sometimes putting them into a Unit is to stop them from hurting themselves and to give them the help they need at the time. The most important thing is he must have good after care if he has had to go into the Unit, so that this is not a recurring cycle. I do know what you are going through and there is help out there. I would try MIND or a therapist who deals with your child's condition. All the best for the future🙂
  • CressCress Member Posts: 15 Connected
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Wini. LD? Learning difficulties....I've had input from psychologists but he wont cooperate in any way with them and feels they judge him and he comes up short.
    If he refuses to cooperate with them they wont see him, but nothing changes.
    He gets very agitated and hits out at me which is hard to cope with and it just seems like his options are between doing nothing or have him put in some unit that the only knowledge I have is from tv docs that look as I said, horrendous...i cant do that to him but I'm worried i may not get a choice if it Carriies on as is...just seems like he's between a rock and a hard place, and he's in so much pain.
    Not doing great myself and trying new meds and counselling for anxiety and depression, so feel I'm really letting him down
    I have been thinking of trying to find some help with how I can deal in an effective way with his challenging behaviour....I think I need some one to one help with it as opposed to going online for tips....just so overwhelmed with it and as you say. with your own daughter, to watch your son in so much pain is gut wrenching....
Sign in or join us to comment.