Managing therapy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Managing therapy

mtag
mtag Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi all

I hope everyone is well.

Wondering if someone could give advice please , on the PIP question about managing therapy or health condition.

I have to do daily leg exercises / stretches a couple times in the day , morning and night , given to me to do by the physiotherapist.

I have to do them in the morning to help me ease into walking and at night to stretch out the what the day has caused.

My partner gets up in the morning with me to help me do my stretches before I go to work and then again at night , the question is does the stretches/ exercise I have to do qualify as therapy and does my partner helping me qualify as assistance ?

kind regards and thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Potentially yes but it will depend on the reasons why you can't do them yourself and why you need assistance to do them and how many hours per week you need.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mtag
    Thank you for replying. I need the help to force the stretch / exercise past the point I can get to by myself , a couple of the stretches are i push against her hand / thigh for resistance then a relax and she uses her hand/thigh to get the stretch further , can’t remember the name of the technique .  Need to do them as struggle walking when I get up in the mornings then to help ease the tension that builds up through the day , usually for an hr in the morning and at again in the evening .
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @mtag then thats basically how you answer the question.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mtag, here is some information that explains the managing treatment descriptor which might be helpful. :)
    Scope

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    After my phone assessment recently she asked a lot bout medication and therapy and any thing else to do with my condition so I don’t see why not with exercises As it’s apart of your therapy to get better . But they will prob ask tons of ??? To do with what you answer xx good luck with your pip 
  • mtag
    Thanks all for your replies .
    I had my phone call assessment and to be fair the gentleman on the phone was nice and asked follow on questions. When I was explaining I needed help getting out the bath he asked do I need an aid straight after to get on or off the toilet and he gave the example of a sink which I said yes because I do . He asked about how my partner helps with hey stretches / exercises and asked what for and gave an example to help with movement which was correct .
    Have to give him his due he was helpful as I was dreading the assessment as I’ve heard all sorts about the assessors .
    fingers crossed now as said currently taking up to 8 weeks for a decision.
    again thanks all
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Fingers crossed for you @mtag! :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.