MR Pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MR Pip

georgiamaeslash
georgiamaeslash Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I was on ESA at the beginning of the year which stopped in January as I’m a university student, I applied for PIP early February and finally received my decision 7 weeks ago after the phonecall assessment and they said I was not eligible for pip as my score was too low. Reading through the notes, I noticed she had put a lot of untrue things that wasn’t said on the assessment such as being able to walk over 50 metres and the fact I can drive and go to university means I’m okay? We did say that I do a lot of work from home as I am classed as a disabled student. We did a mandatory reconsideration and a letter which was received on the 8th of June and still haven’t heard anything back? Is this normal? I haven’t had any money what so ever since January and honestly my depression is spiralling downhill and my back is deteriorating more. Could anyone give me a guide to how successful the MR’s are and how long it would possibly take in these times for a tribunal if needs be. I’ve looked at the website and I don’t really understand it but everytime I sit and think of it I start panicking. I’m so sorry for the long question but if anyone could help me or even share similar stories that would help so much, thank you 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @georgiamaeslash how are you tonight? welcome to scope MR's will take as long as they take atm around 17% are successful so be prepared to go to appeal, tribunals used to take anything upto a year but oddly enough since lockdown they are sometimes happening faster now, would suggest you use this time to research appeals and maybe try and get some help just in case, welfare rights maybe?

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Yes it's perfectly normal for a MR to take about 10 weeks, sometimes longer.

You say you don't have any money at the moment. Are you not receiving a student loan? Lots of students have the loan, otherwise they wouldn't be able to survive being a student.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • georgiamaeslash
    georgiamaeslash Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Yeah I receive a student loan 3 times a year but I’m an art student so it usually goes towards bills and equipment 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us

You have had some good advice and the question answered I just wanted to welcome you to the community and look forward to seeing you around
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @georgiamaeslash

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @georgiamaeslash - Welcome to the community from me too. Thank you for joining, & I hope you've already found it helpful. I look forward to hearing from you again. :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @georgiamaeslash, here is some information that might help if you are struggling with money while at university:

Extra funding

Check the student finance calculator on GOV.UK to see what extra help you might be able to get.

Grants

You may be able to claim grants from charitable trusts to help with extra disability-related costs.

Use the grants checker.

Bursaries and awards

Bursaries and awards are like grants and you do not have to pay them back. Talk to your student support service to find out if you can get financial support.

If you’re a postgraduate and you want to teach in a school, you can apply for bursaries and scholarships to fund your teacher training.

Find out how much you could get at Get into teaching (GOV.UK).

Scholarships

Some universities and trusts offer scholarships for disabled students.

These scholarships are based on merit and do not take into account any other funding.

Contact your university to see if they offer scholarships.

If you’re a studying a master’s degree, you may be able to get a scholarship from Snowdon Trust.

University and college hardship funds

You could get extra money from your university or college if you’re experiencing financial hardship.

For example, if you’re:

• disabled
    • a mature student with existing financial commitments
    • a student that was previously in care (a ‘care leaver’)

Many providers have set up new funds designed to provide grants for financial difficulties arising from issues relating to coronavirus. The funds help with the purchase of laptops and wi-fi dongles so students can access remote teaching and learning. Contact the student services department at your university or college. They’ll decide if you qualify.

Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.