Special Schools or Mainstream School - Short Listing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Special Schools or Mainstream School - Short Listing

Options
popsy
popsy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to understand more about the provision for SEN at a state school easily?  I am looking for a school for my daughter and have quite a wide area to explore.  I have a few friends at local schools but they don't really understand the SEN provision, I will obviously meet with the SENCO team eventually before we decide but I want to create a shortlist.  All of the school websites make them sound the same but I am sure they are not all equally good at special needs.  Any ideas?

Comments

• SENmum07
    SENmum07 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Popsy. You are right and this was exactly our experience when we were looking for a school for our son. Finding a mainstream school that actually understands SEN and not just claims to understand it is incredibly hard. Try this website: https://www.senschoolsguide.com/
    It's great as it focuses specifically on SEN education but not exclusively on special schools, or private schools. They also have Ofsted's ParentView data for the schools that have it available so you can see what parents there actually think about the school and how it deals with SEN
  • SENmum07
    SENmum07 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Oh and stay positive. It took us a couple of years and two different schools but we got there eventually :-)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome I hope the information given is useful. You may find more in our other sections eg parents and carers 
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Our experience right from nursery, through infants, juniors, high school and now uni was basically there seem to be roughly 3 sorts of attitudes that you'll encounter!
    1) *big sigh*..".oh well we can try but this, that and the other will be really difficult, and of course he won't be able to do that subject cos its always taught in that tiny room up 3 flights of stairs, and of course we could move the bookshelves in the open plan class-room but we don't want to....but of course we are truly inclusive so if you really want him to come here we'll manage" *another big sigh*
    2) "Yep, great, had a kid in a wheelchair/with a communication aid/visually impaired 6 or 7 years ago so we know all there is to know...*patronising laugh*  don't you worry we'll be fine"
    3) "OK, well I'll be honest we have not had a pupil with this sort/level of disability before but we would really like to make it work so lets start a discussion about what's going to be needed"
    And as you might expect number 3 was always the one that worked for us...
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @popsy (and @SENmum07!). 

Here is an article which looks at choosing the right school for your disabled child. I hope you are able to talk to others about this. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.