Adult autism assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adult autism assessment

Options
JazCo
JazCo Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
Hi

My step mum made a connection to my behaviour and experiences since I was a child to autism when she was researching it for her son (now diagnosed at 10) and saw similarities in me.
We concluded I've basically taught myself to be socially acceptable so have fallen under the radar for autism. 
I've been diagnosed with depression and social anxiety disorder and tried medication and cbt (neither worked) and I think it's because I was treating anxiety completely but some of my issues are autism and anxiety has come from hiding my autism my whole life and feeling like an awful human being instead of just being non-neurotypical.
I've lost jobs that I know see is for reasons relating to symptoms of autism, including employment with a disability advocacy service who could have easily supported me had they known it was not personality defects but disability related. 
I havent held down a job for longer than a year and am currently unemployed and struggling to find work. 

I am on the waiting list for assessment but it's a SIX YEAR waiting list. 
NAS have suggested trying to get my gp to refer out of area for lower waiting time and a friend who has recently been diagnosed suggested seeing the mental health team for my anxiety and asking them to refer me for assessment sooner. 
I was wondering if anyone has had to follow these routes and what their experiences are? 
I expect roughly a year waiting but 6 seems excessive and trying to find other options. Private is not an option sadly. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community, I am sorry I am not familiar with autism and getting a diagnosis.

Maybe have a look on our other sections or contact the below link 

Autism – National Autistic Society Website: https://www.autism.org.uk/ Helpine: 020 7833 2299 Email: nas@nas.org.uk
  • justjoe
    justjoe Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Get your name on the list for assessment (shouldn't be 6 years, gatekeeping services is what they do as standard) and it's ok to self identify within the autistic community - we understand how hard it to get a DX, especially if you're female. Agony autie does good videos on YouTube, as does yosamdysam and autistamatic. Good luck ?
  • JazCo
    JazCo Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you @justjo I've been on the list for 6 months now and I've emailed my local mp becayse they're pushing how much investment they've put into our mental health centre and 6 years is 10x the average waiting time according to ausistic society, and thousands of women are struggling to cope becayse they aren't getting the right help without a diagnosis. God knows where that's gonna go.
    Thank you for the recommended youtubers! I'll deffo check them out! 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JazCo

Sorry to hear you're having to wait a long time to get the help you need. I hope your MP can do something about it.

How are you doing today? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JazCo, how are you today? :)
    Scope

• Rechnin
    Rechnin Community member Posts: 89 Courageous
    Options
    This seems to be a common theme.
  • Aspiemike
    Aspiemike Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    I was diagnosed 3 years ago at 60 ive spent my life not knowing and struggling to fit in. I now am much happier and my family understands my traits and differences to the so called normal. I love myself now.
  • Rechnin
    Rechnin Community member Posts: 89 Courageous
    Options
    @Aspiemike

That is good to hear, I am hoping that I will soon feel the same...

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.