PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Public transport and PIP

SystemSystem Posts: 471 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Confused about my pip report...

Replies

• tallyanntallyann Member Posts: 10 Listener
    hi  can anyone help  if i cant use public transport  at all and need somebody with me when following a familiar journey  due to opd what points for pip claim can score   thanks 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,604 Disability Gamechanger
    tallyann said:
    hi  can anyone help  if i cant use public transport  at all and need somebody with me when following a familiar journey  due to opd what points for pip claim can score   thanks 

For the mobility part it will totally depend on the reasons why you can't go out alone and what would happen if you did go. I know you said OPD but that doesn't tell anyone much at all about your conditions.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member - under moderation Posts: 4,894 Disability Gamechanger
    OPD as in obstructive pulmonary disorder or something else? Can’t see that kind if OPD creating a planning/following issue.
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    Unfortunately there is often confusion between different definitions so it's best to use proper names rather than abbreviations. Abbreviations will often mean different things to different people. Also remember that assessors do not read everything they receive especially if descriptions are long and complicated. In addition not all assessors are trained healthcare professionals, they might simply be trained assessors. They are also under instructions to mark down factors wherever possible to reduce benefit costs to the Government, morally horrendous but it appears acceptable to those footing the bills because they have little or no direct experience of the people they are dealing with.

I would always advise people to be brief and concise with filling these forms in and not to swamp the assessors with a multitude of supporting documentation because they will simply skip over a lot of it as their time is extremely restricted by the same people who pay the benefits.

A good way to get these things right is to ask for support in filling the forms in from DWP (Department of Work and Pensions). I have done this twice and they always helped me get the proper definitions and helped me to understand that some things I do aren't as simple as I think they are.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 780 Pioneering
    OPD as in obstructive pulmonary disorder or something else? Can’t see that kind if OPD creating a planning/following issue.
    I'd guess Overwhelming Psychological Distress as written on the descriptors.

It's a term I'd never heard before PIP though, I'm still not entirely sure at what point it becomes overwhelming!  My understanding would be that you have to be physically collapsed on the floor unable to do anything but it doesn't seem to mean that!  :D
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,604 Disability Gamechanger

I was actually thinking more on the lines of Overwhelming Psychological Distress.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • katho31katho31 Member - under moderation Posts: 701 Pioneering
    Hi @OverlyAnxious, the overwhelming psychological distress means if you are say in a supermarket/shop and you become so overwhelmed it causes you sweating/feeling paranoid/scared/an urgent need to leave/get home and the impact those situations may make you feel/act. COPD, is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, my dear late mum had it, she never smoked but had passive smoke from others years ago, its extreme damage to lungs.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member - under moderation Posts: 4,894 Disability Gamechanger
    There is very clear caselaw on overwhelming psychological distress and I fear the previous post from @katho31 haa muddled that. 

OPD for daily living requires engagement to be accompanied by OPD so, yes, the supermarket/shop scenario would fit with that. However, we’re talking about the mobility component where OPD must be such that it actually prevents you going out in the first place. Thus the use of the words “cannot undertake”. Examples of distress when out for that would undermine the argument for points i.e. if you went out and then got distressed then the thought of that probably wasn’t enough to stop you undertaking the journey so zero points. 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,552 Scope community team
    Hello @tallyann
    I've split your post from the previous thread so hopefully it will remain on-topic and your query can be addressed. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    So to get back on topic then my point was that overwhelming psychological distress for mobility has to be such that it prevents you from undertaking the journey in the first place in order to get 10 points. The PIP descriptors read as follows:

The descriptors relevant for you @tallyann for Activity 1 are -

2 - Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points

5 - Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points

The 10 points are scored when OPD prevents you going out in the first place. The 4 points are for when you can but would need prompting to do so. 

A forum doesn’t really allow us to go into enough depth to establish for sure which would apply but based only on what you’ve posted so far then 4 points looks more likely. 
    hi thank you for reply  he can go out and make a journey  when he has somebody with him but gets very distressed around people he does have social anxiety
    Looking like 4 rather than 10 unfortunately.
Sign in or join us to comment.