Getting LWC/LWCRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting LWC/LWCRA

shazzy93
shazzy93 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hi, 
had good news today - got awarded standard on PIP for Daily Living - had hoped for enhanced mobility but eh its a start. ?.

My question is related to the Work Capability Assessment Questionaire I filled in and returned a couple of weeks before applying for PIP. I still haven’t heard from them regarding this. I have informed them today that I have been awarded PIP and she just replied that it’s a different scheme. I said I know all that but what about how long it’s taking for their assessment. Don’t know what to do - leave it or ring. Any advice?  I’m in the process of splitting up with my husband of 33 years so once I do I will then need to be claiming UC (have received no payment as he earns too much - why it has to be based on a couples income rather than each individual is beyond me) 

thank you in advance
shaz. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Great news on your PIP award.

The person you spoke to is correct, they are 2 completely different benefits and the assessments are done by different assesment providers. How long it takes depends on backlog in your area.

Yes you can ring the health assessment assessment advisory service and ask what's happening with your claim and they will tell you, if they have anything to tell. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance-esa

The reason why UC is based on your partner earnings as well is because it's a means tested benefit and claiming this depends on your circumstances.

Good luck with the WCA and hopefully you're not waiting too much longer.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shazzy93
    shazzy93 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Thank you Poppy. Fingers crossed I hear soon. When I put in the claim for UC the advisor said a work coach would be in touch. That was weeks ago. 

You’re all so brilliant here. Thank you for you advice ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, great news on PIP and fingers crossed your WCA will go the same way.

It can take a while for work coaches to get in touch they are under lots of pressure and reduced resources at the minute

Unfortunately if you are a couple living together then all incoming money is taken into account for means tested benefits.

This has to be the right way as if one person wasnt working but the other was earning huge amounts its only fair that the nin working partner isnt able to claim benefits as it is all about household income not just individual

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.