Savings on ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Savings on ESA

redrose3
redrose3 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I receive ESA, do I need to tell the DWP when my savings drop BELOW £16 thousand. Is it an offence to not inform them?
Because I am managing to live on my savings at present and I don't want to be taking benefit that someone more in need should have.

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi redrose3, as far as I know you do have to report any changes. You can request that nothing changes, despite your reduction in savings. 
    But please take advice from others as well, in case I am mistaken. Take care. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Claiming benefits yourself doesn't take benefits off anyone else thats not how it works, if your savings fall below 16k it depends on a number of factors as to wether you will get extra benefits or not.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @redrose3. Are you claiming NS ESA or contribution based ESA?

It's definitely in your interest to tell them when your savings drop under £16,000. Not least because you may be missing out on benefit you're entitled to, but also because when you need to inform them (as your savings can no longer sustain you etc and you need the support) it should be an easier process if you've kept them informed of your different savings levels throughout. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.