Using Technology to connect With New People — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Using Technology to connect With New People

csno01
csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
Hi There,

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

I have a question on the use of Technology and online groups in order to connect with new people, due to the Pandemic.

Since Lockdown began, I am aware the use of both Technology and Social Media has become even more popular and has brought people together. I agree the Scope Forum is a great Platform for this kind of thing. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any others such as RNIB?

Many thanks,
CSn01

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, an interesting subject you have brought up
    #
    I am not too sure about other forums but there must be some out there. I have started to use zoom which I didnt use before
  • csno01
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome to the community, an interesting subject you have brought up
    #
    I am not too sure about other forums but there must be some out there. I have started to use zoom which I didnt use before
    Thanks for your response Janer1967.

I bet there are. We just have to find them. 

I heard about one on a News report for the visually impaired called Deathblind UK. That got me thinking about similar platforms. So I am on a quest ha ha.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    That's good I am visually impaired too 

Keep sharing anything you find as other members will no doubt be interested 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    RNIB do have facebook groups for different parts of the UK which you might find helpful. :)
    Scope

• csno01
    RNIB do have facebook groups for different parts of the UK which you might find helpful. :)
    Hi Chloe,
    This is something I forgot to mention in my original post. I am familiar with the RNIB FaceBook groups, I dip in from time to time. I was wondering if there were any others besides these? 

Thanks
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @csno01
    This link takes you to the RNIB connect page that has an events page and a radio station https://www.rnib.org.uk/rnibconnect  If I find any other groups I'll make sure to let you know :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @csno01, were you able to find anything else?

I've found RNIB Talk which is a befriending service for blind and partially sighted adults. Also, RNIB connect has a Facebook page, events, radio station and a magazine. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.