New Meds...Quetiapine, anyone tried this? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Meds...Quetiapine, anyone tried this?

Options
Cress
Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
Hi
Apparently I've come to the end of the line as far as anti depressants are concerned so my mental health team have given me this to try at a low dose along with the meds I'm already on, Sertraline and Buspirone.
Anyone been on this?
How did you find it?
("My mental health team")...like I have my own personal entourage...?

Comments

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there I’m on 200 sertraline and 350 mg of quatiapine . I found it makes you really sleeping at worst like really bad while it takes to get into your system , I don’t sleep all the way threw the night on it but it is supposed to work wonders for some people when it comes to sleeping . You tend to grave sweet things , and I get muscle pain and stiffness . It’s helped reduce my pychosis . 

That’s from my experience of being on that medication I hope it works for you . 
  • Cress
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply @cupcake88.
    Always nervous starting a new drug...found the Sertraline awful at first...the side effects wore off but then made no difference at all to my anxiety or depression.
    When I told my GP I was no better she asked "well what would you like me to do? You've tried all the others"
    Perfectly reasonable question, but not what I  wanted to hear!
    I wanted to shout "I dont know, just make it stop! 
    I just burst into tears instead...lol
    Thanks again, it helps hearing others experiences...
  • cupcake88
    Options
    Do you have a mental health nurse ? I think with covid every thing is taking slower . They will just try all the meds they can till one suits you . I really hope you feel better soon and these meds help 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    All anti-depressants work by accumulating in your system, which is why they take a few weeks to become effective and why you aren't supposed to just stop taking them. I've had many issues with AD's in the past and, basically, they gave up trying different ones. Certainly all the standard ones were tried but they all either sent me to sleep for extended periods or had me throwing up or climbing the walls (not literally but I felt like I wanted to). Even a couple of the mild AD's (which are also good for nerve pain) knock me out for extended periods if I take more than a little (like as much as sleeping 20 hours a day). Sleeping for such a long period when I live alone and have to try and look after myself is not an option.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • cupcake88
    Options
    Anti psychotics have a huge affect on your brain also I find that my thinking is delayed and muscle pain quatiapine can actually up to 800 mg I’m on 350 mg I couldn’t imagine being on a higher dose of it . When I was first on it I was very lucky I had my partner to make sure my dog was ok because I think slept constant when I first was on it . 
  • Cress
    Options

@Topkitten...@cupcake88

Thanks for the warning ...I'm the carer of an adult son with learning difficulties, autisim and epilepsy, really cant be sleeping for 20 hours a day!

Apart from the first couple of weeks on Sertraline , never really had any bad side effects of any of the ones I tried, sadly no positive effects either.

I'm beginning to think there is no hope of a treatment that actually works with depression...
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    @Cress, it can take months for AD's to have any real positive benefit due to the accumulation process and GP's being slow to increase dosages. It isn't like pain which, if the pain killers work, responds quickly, it is a change of the way you look at life (which is difficult to quantify). It's also why some people never realize they are depressed at all.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.