Can anyone help RE UC? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can anyone help RE UC?

Katye03
Katye03 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello new to forum needing some guidance I currently receive ESA support PIP enhanced for both , My husband works and also takes care of me , he's due to be made redundant in 4 weeks- meanwhile he is also in agony with chronic OA in hips and back . I have been told we have to claim UC , but I don't know this system at all I have been ill and disabled for over 25 yrs on the old style benefits. Can he claim carers and ESA contribution based benefits for himself? , as he's now in agony with his hips and back and looking for any work at this stage will be futile until he gets surgery, which could be next year , I don't understand UC at all, can anyone give me advice please - Thanks Katye

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Firstly he needs to wait until after he's received his redundancy pay before he does anything else.

Your ESA is Contributions based and because all areas are now a full Universal Credit area then he can't be added to your claim.

New style ESA has replaced the old Contributions based. Claiming this will depend on his NI contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2018 and April 2018 to March 2019. If he's paid enough then he'll be able to claim this. It pays £74.35 per week over 25's. It's only paid for 52 weeks, unless placed into the Support Group and then it's paid for as long as he remains in that group. He will need a fit note from his GP to be able to claim this. See link. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance

Carers allowance can be claimed BUT because both of these are classed as overlapping benefits then he won't receive money for both of them. He will receive the highest paid one, which is ESA.

Do you rent or own your own home?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Katye03
    Hello thank you for that,  we have a shared ownership house no mortgage but the rent part we have to pay.+ full council tax. Will triggering a UC claim for him affect my money? will it be paid into his account, as I currently have it fortnightly in my own right? If he just goes for the carers for me will he still be called for work interviews? Yes, he will have enough NI contributions for ESA we won't know what his redundancy pay for a couple of weeks it won't be a lot as he's been there 6 yrs.

• poppy123456
    UC is a means tested benefit, if you have savings/capital of £16,000 and over then you'll be exlcuded from claiming. Savings of £6,000 and over then you'll have a reduction of £4.35 per month for every £250 (or part there of) over that amount.

If you don't have savings/capital then you'll need to claim UC for help with the rent but you'll need a tenancy agreement to be able to claim this. If there's just the 2 of you then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance. Check that here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ As UC is a means tested benefit then you'll need to claim as a couple BUT i'd advise you to wait until after he's received his redundancy payment because otherwise it will reduce your UC for that month.

Your ESA support group award will be honoured in UC and you'll receive the LCWRA element in with your claim. Your ESA payments will continue as they are now but they will be deducted in full from your UC entitlement. I'd advise you to use a benefits calculator.

He can still claim the New style ESA with the fit note from his GP but the payments he receives will also be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

Carers element can be paid in with UC but he'll need to make sure he reports he's a carer otherwise he won't receive it.

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and can be claimed from your local council.

It's all extremely complicated if you don't understand it and you may want to get some advice from an agency near you. Although all this should be done once he's received his redundancy payment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Katye03
    Thank you, Poppy, yes it is very complicated, I guess we wait until he gets his final payslip. Many thanks- Katye 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Katye03 and a warm welcome to the community.

I just wanted to add to @poppy123456's brilliant advice that the LHA doesn't apply to shared-ownership homes. The full eligible rent you pay will be covered under UC. 

If you have any other questions or there is anything you're unsure of please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.