Welcomes and introductions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Hi, my name sim-

Ayodamiamu11Ayodamiamu11 Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello 
Please  my 9yrs boy is diagnosed with ADHD I don't want to put him on medication but the scool  senco said they can't request for EHCP for him that I should request it by myself  am confused what should I do.
Thanks 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 19,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

Having been through the whole EHCP process myself with my dayghter, it will be a lot quicker if the school requests it. Your GP can also request it but doing it this way will be a lot longer.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Ayodamiamu11Ayodamiamu11 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi poppy123456,
    Appreciate your reply have asked the senco teacher at the school to request it for him, but said he can't that request it myself through the gp as you said and he will be better with medication, that's why I am worried. 
    Thank you. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 19,154 Disability Gamechanger
    I can't advise on the medication part because we are not medical professionals and can't give that advice. You can certainly ask your GP to refer him but it does take longer.

Did the senco teacher say why they won't refer him?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Thanks
    He said the plan is a long process and that it is not guarantee that he will get one 
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 6,961 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ayodamiamu11

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

It’s great to see that you have already had some good info from Poppy.

Please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help you with???

@steve51
    Thanks
    He said the plan is a long process and that it is not guarantee that he will get one 

From the time the application is made (not the referral) it takes a total of 20 weeks. It's not guaranteed of course but if they do agree the decision will be made at  week 16.

Once you get to 16 weeks and the decision is made, if they decide no then you can appeal if you think it's not correct.

The hardest part is getting the to agree to it. Certainly not a easy process. Some links here that may help you.

Thank you appreciate all. 
Sign in or join us to comment.